PRLog - Nov. 9, 2012 - BOSTON -- Boston, MA, October 18, 2012 – Tile of Spain, the international brand representing 125 ceramic tile manufacturers belonging to the Spanish Ceramic Tile Manufacturers’
Designers and architects were able to earn CEU credits for attending this panel discussion on new avenues for creativity and design in ceramics. To celebrate Spanish culture, guests were able to enjoy a selection of Spanish wine and tapas.
Presenters for the event included:
· Dr. Martin Bechthold - Professor of Architectural Technology/ Group Head, Graduate School of Design, Harvard University. Dr. Bechthold is co-director of the Harvard University Master in Design Studies Program and director of the GSD’s Technology Platform. His research broadly looks at material and fabrication technology as a catalyst of innovation for design practice. Founder of the GSD’s Design Robotics Group (DRG), the group’s current research focuses on integrating robotic technology into fabrication and construction processes, developing advanced material systems, and understanding problems of lifecycle design in (building) products.
· Ángela García de Paredes – Principal, Paredes Pedrosa Arquitectos, Madrid, Spain. A project design professor and graduate of the Madrid School of Architecture, García de Paredes has also been a visiting professor at other Spanish Universities;
· Ryan Fasan – Tile of Spain Consultant. Fasan is a research consultant, trainer and partner of Professional Attention to Tile Installations, an internationally renowned tile consulting firm. His background includes experience in showroom and architectural sales; work as a manufacturer’
A panel discussion on the future of ceramics was moderated by local designer and blogger Andie Day, AKBD, CAPS, of Andie Day Design, Boston. An award winning interior designer and blogger at AndieDay.com, Day specializes in creating innovative, effective home solutions for every stage of life. She is a National Association of Home Builders’ certified aging in place specialist, and an avid promoter of sustainable and transgenerational design.
Attendees had the opportunity to be inspired by Spanish tile and see the latest innovations from Tile of Spain in person. Spanish ceramic tile manufacturers and products featured at the event include:
· The Ecowood series of Eco-Logik tile from AZULEZOS PLAZA is a porcelain stoneware wall tile comprised of 85% recycled content. Available in four colors and great for outdoor use, it creates the appearance of stained wood floors with all the durability and strength of ceramic tile.
· GRESPANIA’s Coverlam series is a laminated and rectified porcelain stoneware tile manufactured using an innovative production process that reduces the tiles thickness to 3.5 mm. These large-format, lightweight tiles have all the same strength, impermeability and durability of thicker tiles. The City Series, a porcelain tile that gives solutions to all the shortcomings of traditional paving, was also featured.
· PORCELANOSA showcased rich wall and floor porcelain tiles under the Calacata line that have varied graining to recreate the natural look of marble. The glossy, textured Sea series wall tile in Silver was also featured.
· ROCA highlighted their Titanium series tile. In business for almost a century, they are a worldwide leader in manufacturing, distributing and marketing of high-quality ceramic and porcelain tile. Products range from rustic elements to high resistance floor tiles, covering single colors, marble, decorated tiles and complements.
· TAU CERAMICA’s newest offerings on display at the event included Onice and Kemberg tiles. Another notable innovation is Tau S3 Group’s Technical Ceramic Wall is a system where any technology can be seamlessly hidden behind a beautifully tiled wall.
· CERAMICA ELIAS’ Vulcano series features extruded terracotta tiles with a dark grey color and straight even edges. The dark color creates an elegant contrast with other decorative elements. Cotto Del Sol series earthenware tile were also featured.
For information about this event, and to view images, please visit www.tileofspainusa.com.
About Tile of Spain
In Spain, tile makers labor as they have for centuries – pushing their passion for design and innovation to new levels of artisanship. With one of the purest and strongest domestic clays available, Spanish manufacturers have an unparalleled ability to make the end product more diverse. From rustic handmade forms; to technical facades that cool buildings and clean the air; to the impossibly slim, sustainable recycled and ink jet masterpieces that fire the imagination. The Spanish Ceramic Tile Manufacturers’