Millions of people are left in the dark and cold without electricity and heat. Gasoline to run cars and power generators has become such a demand and in big shortage. The famous 70-mile long Jersey Shore was washed off by surging storm and high tide. Sand has pushed inland a mile from the coastline damaging bridges and washing away houses.
Lower Manhattan, Staten Island and Long Island regions of New York are also hit hard with severe flooding and damages. New York City Marathon has to be cancelled for the first time after frustrated public outcry over long and delayed rescue effort.
"Although Hurricane Sandy warning started a few days earlier and many people have been preparing for it, the extent and size is simply beyond 100 years of historical storm," says Carey Yang, a certified personal trainer and fitness expert in Morris County, New Jersey.
Yang is the owner and master personal trainer at Beyond Fitness Solutions, LLC -- a leading in-home personal training and weight-loss management company serving and helping clients in Morris County, Sussex County, Passaic County, Essex County and Somerset County areas in New Jersey.
Yang says, I still have no electricity or heat at home 7 days after Sandy and don't know the power will be back. Several downed trees need to saw off. Downed wires need repair. The coordination between tree service companies, township public workers and utility workers seems to be a challenge.
"I don't have power generator. Luckily I have a gas grill with a burner and a full tank of propane to warm up water for tea and coffee, cook soup and simple meals," Yang says. "Still, it's temporary, not meant to last for more than two weeks."
Yang provides a list of foods and diet for emergency:
● Preserved meats, fish, fruits, vegetables, beans, and soups. They are often full of additives and salts. On the other hand, canned food is easy to get and store for at least two years.
● Dry cereal or granola.
● Dried fruits, grains and nuts. If you can, choose organic and buy in bulk to save money.
● Crackers: Buy high-quality, high-fiber ones.
● Juice, plus fluids with electrolytes.
● Water: This is key. “Water is a not-optional item. If you don’t have it, you die.
Lastly, here’s a list of non-food stuff to have on hand:
● Soap, or alcohol-based (60-95%) hand wash.
● Any prescription meds your family needs, plus a basic first-aid kit that includes a thermometer, fever meds such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen, and anti-diarrheal meds.
● Portable radio. Here’s one that operates on solar, hand-crank or battery power and has a built-in cell phone charger and flashlight.
● Manual can opener.
● Garbage bags: Use them for trash, make-shift sleeping bags.
● Tissues, toilet paper, diapers (if water is in short supply, you won’t be washing cloth diapers, so go for disposable eco diapers) and feminine hygiene supplies.
About Carey Yang and Beyond Fitness Solutions, LLC
C. Carey Yang, Your Dream Body WorkoutXpert (TM), is a certified personal trainer and fitness boot camp instructor based in Morris County, New Jersey. He provides in-home personal fitness training, backyard boot camp, wellness and lifestyle coaching, and fitness and weight-management seminar. He specializes in helping busy, working professionals who want safe, effective workouts with maximum results in minimum time. Yang is the creator of the 6-Step Dream Body Blueprint (TM) Body Transformation System.
To learn more about lifestyle and wellness coaching, personal fitness training and nutritional counseling and to sign up for a free monthly e-zine, receive free fitness and fat loss e-books, and schedule a complimentary consultation, visit http://www.BeyondFitnessSolutions.com.
He is also available for media interviews, providing a list of tips and articles, and presenting wellness and fitness seminar. Call 973-303-2424 or email Carey at BeyondFitnessSolutions.com.
"Denville, NJ" "Boonton, NJ" "Montville, NJ" "Kinnelon, NJ" "Mountain Lakes, NJ" "Rockaway, NJ" "Randolph, NJ" "Succasunna, NJ" "Chester, NJ" "Morristown, NJ" 'Mendham, NJ" "Madison, NJ" "Chatham, NJ" "Short Hills, NJ" "Sparta, NJ" "Hackettstown, NJ" "Montclair, NJ" "Wayne, NJ" "Bedminister, NJ" "Basking Ridge, NJ" "Bernardsville, NJ" "Personal Trainers" "In Home Personal Training" "Morris County, NJ" "Sussex County, NJ" "Essex County, NJ" "Passaic County, NJ" "Somerset County, NJ" "Fitness Bootcamps" "Biggest Loser" "Fat Camp" "Fat Loss" "Weight Loss" "Female Personal Trainers"