Seven years ago NOKR was able to assist thousands of individuals and families displaced by Hurricane Katrina. However, sadly NOKR was unable to assist anyone who HAD NOT REGISTERED WITH THIS FREE RESOURCE prior to Katrina making landfall and all the devastation that came with her.
NOKR is strongly encouraging the media to help broadcast this resource to those who may be in the path of Sandy.
HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS......10 QUICK TIPS
1. Register today at NOKR and print the optional registration card, laminate it and keep this card with your driver’s license, identification card or passport. For children place a card on file at school or attach the card to a backpack.
2. List an instate and out of state point of contact for you or your family, example (Brother, Sister, Mother, Father, Best Friend, Neighbor, Attorney, ect.) Make sure this information is updated.
3. Write out any medical concerns or allergies to medications and establish, in writing your medical next of kin: the person who can make decisions for you when you cannot.
4. Always keep an update photograph of your children in your purse or wallet; this can be used if your child is missing.
5. Store at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food and at least a three-day supply of water per person, (two quarts for drinking, two quarts for each person in your household for food preparation/
6. Assemble a first aid kit with bandages and antiseptic wipes.
7. Keep non-prescription drugs easily accessible and properly labeled.
8. Stock up on flashlights, a battery operated radio, extra batteries and other essential tools such as a pocketknife can opener, etc.
9. Keep accessible important contact information such as phone numbers and addresses to local shelters, police stations, hospitals and your Red Cross local chapter.
10. Learn the safest route from your home or place of business to areas that are safe from high winds or flooding.
“We are taking the invaluable lessons learned from recent natural disasters and are working to help Americans better prepare for the future,” says Mark Cerney, NOKR President and Founder. “Take the few minutes to prepare today. They will prove to be the best spent minutes of your day in making your family circle safer.”
Registering with NOKR takes only a few minutes to store those who should be listed as your emergency point of contact and add a photo for urgent situations. NOKR is Fast, Free and Secure.
The Next of Kin Registry can be found on the:
USA.gov is the U.S. government's official web portal
To register, or for more information, please visit http://www.nokr.org.
The Next Of Kin Registry (NOKR) was established as a FREE tool for daily emergencies and national disasters. NOKR is your emergency contact system to help if you or your family member is missing, injured or deceased.
NOKR is a humanitarian non-profit 501(c)(3) dedicated to bridging rapid emergency contact information. NOKR was established in January 2004, for daily emergency situations. NOKR is now listed on more than 92% of all State websites, the American Red Cross, Homeland Security Disasterassistance.gov, USA.gov and other federal agencies, as a critical resource for daily emergencies. For more information please contact NOKR's Deputy Director Gerry DiStefano at (800) 915-5413 or visit NOKR's website at http://www.nokr.org