An overnight camp for teenagers ages 12-18, Longacre Leadership (http://www.longacre.com/
“Every summer, there are kids who beg me for more time with the horses,” says Owner and Director Louise Warner. “In the horsemanship track, they'll get it. We are guaranteeing barn time every day.”
This specialized track is the first of its kind for Longacre, a summer camp that emphasizes student choice.
According to Eve Eifler, Co-Owner of Tips on Trips and Camps, it's a smart move. “This will be one of the few programs in the country where kids can do an intensive riding program but also be part of a coed community,” she says. Tips on Trips and Camps (http://www.tipsontripsandcamps.com/
Warner teaches natural horsemanship, which means without force or fight. “My goal is to build the student and the horse into a team,” she says. “If the student can discover what motivates the horses—what they want, what scares them—learning to ride becomes much easier. Horseback riding can be a very rewarding partnership.”
The horsemanship track offers access and education beyond Longacre's standard horse program. Track participants will dedicate a large portion of their summer to improving horsemanship skills. They will be immersed in horse care, management, training and riding:
* Feeding horses, and learning about complex nutritional needs
* Safely applying repellants and topical medicines
* Caring for hooves and legs, and recognizing signs of injury before they turn dangerous
* Mucking stalls and managing insects
* Improving herd dynamics and increasing safety
* Meeting with the blacksmith and observing him on calls
* Meeting with the dentist
* Meeting with the veterinarian and observing her on calls
Additionally, the track offers two community service projects:
* Volunteering at the Capital Area Therapeutic Riding Association (CATRA)
* Working with the Humane Society of Harrisburg to rescue and rehabilitate a neglected horse
Track participants will be offered time with the horses every day. Advanced riders in the track will be offered trail riding, a cross-country course, fence jumping, and on-the-flat training in one of two arenas.
Enrollment in the horsemanship track will be capped at ten campers. The 4-Week Track costs $500 above the standard tuition of $4,810. The 6-Week Track costs $750 above the standard tuition of $6,190. Applicants should call 717-567-3349, visit longacre.com, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Longacre Leadership is an overnight summer camp for teenagers ages 12-18. Founded in 1975, the camp is based on a 200-acre farm in Newport, Pennsylvania. CampRatingz.com ranks Longacre in the Top 10 in the U.S., in the Top 5 in the Northeast, and #1 overall in Pennsylvania.
Contact: Matthew Smith, Director
6514 Creek Rd.
Newport, PA 17074