CONTACT: Mitch Leff, (404) 861-4769 (cell), firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:mitch@
Oct. 25: Country Star Jake Owen Highlights Boys & Girls Clubs of America “Great Futures Gala” Fundraiser at the Georgia Aquarium
Cartoon Network and Longhorn Steakhouse Presidents Host Fundraising Dinner; Honor BGCA Supporter Atlantan Michael Capellas, Chairman of the Virtual Computing Environment Company
WHAT: Country music star Jake Owen will highlight Boys & Girls Clubs of America’s (BGCA) 2012 Great Futures Gala, October 25, 2012 at the Georgia Aquarium, a fundraising event with a goal of raising $750,000 to support the youth service organization’
The 450+ gala guests will also honor a great champion for youth, Atlanta’s own Michael Capellas, Chairman of the Virtual Computing Environment Company.
· During a seven-year tenure on BGCA’s Board of Governors, Capellas fostered the roll-out of technology centers in more than 5,000 Boys & Girls Clubs across the U.S.
· The former CEO of Atlanta-based First Data, Capellas is also a recipient of the Hope Technology Award given by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children for his work in utilizing technology to increase the recovery rate of missing children.
WHEN: Thursday, October 25, 2012
6:30 p.m. Reception
7:30 p.m. Dinner, Program, Jake Owen Performance
WHERE: The Georgia Aquarium, 225 Baker Street, NW, Atlanta 30313, (404) 581-4000
WHY: Boys & Girls Clubs of America enables young people most in need to achieve great futures as productive, caring, responsible citizens. Nearly 4,000 Clubs serve some four million young people through Club membership and community outreach. Clubs provide a safe place, caring adult mentors, fun and friendship, and high-impact youth development programs on a daily basis during critical non-school hours.
BGCA and Cartoon Network have partnered to offer Clubs the “Stop Bullying: Speak Up” campaign, aimed at empowering youth, particularly bystanders, to take action and reduce bullying. The effort provides Clubs nationwide with multimedia tools and resources that offer tactical recommendations for effective responses to bullying and cyber-bullying situations.
BGCA and the Darden Restaurants Foundation, the charitable arm of Darden Restaurants, Inc., have partnered together since 2008 providing access to the tools and information Boys & Girls Club youth need to achieve a great future – including the new Diplomas to Degrees college-readiness program and more than $500,000 in college scholarships. Darden and its restaurant brands – including Longhorn Steakhouse – are dedicated to inspiring Boys & Girls Club teens to pursue ambitious goals by introducing them to the possibilities of postsecondary education.
INTERVIEWS: - Stuart Snyder, President and COO, Cartoon Network, Dinner Co-Chairman
- Dave George, President, Longhorn Steakhouse, Dinner Co-Chairman
- Featured Performer: Jake Owen
- Tyler Merriweather, 2012-13 Southeast Region Youth of the Year, Boys & Girls Club of Tuscaloosa, Ala.
- Trei Dudley, 2012-13 National Youth of the Year, Boys & Girls Club of Lawrence (Kansas)
TICKETS: Contact Janice Lindsey at 404-487-5993 or via e-mail at JLindsey@bgca.org (mailto:jlindsey@