Jeremy saw off stiff competition from a glittering cast of nominees to win The Independent Hotelier of the Year 2012. Nominated for his ability to inspire and innovate while bringing humour and a touch of eccentricity to The Goring to ensure that it is anything but boring, Jeremy has boldly invested in luxurious new facilities and has managed to combine “quintessentially English” tradition with some unexpected artistic touches.
On receiving his award Jeremy commented, "We at The Goring are over the moon to have been given this award. Running an independent hotel is so different from being part of a bigger organisation, because you live and die on your own successes and failures. You have freedoms that aren't accorded in the big hotel chains, so you can deliver a much more individual experience - but that extra licence you are given, can lead to much bigger disasters too. So it's really nice that a whole show is being dedicated to this sector. Thank you!"
The nominees (see below) were selected by the nomination committee (see below) - experts in the hospitality area. Voting went live in early September on The Independent Hotel Show website. Open to all registered hoteliers for four weeks only, over 1000 votes were cast and it proved a close finish.
“The importance of a new award recognising the contribution made by independent hoteliers cannot be under-estimated”
Christoph Brooke, Founder and Managing Director of Hillbrooke Hotels
Gordon Campbell Gray, Chairman of Campbell Gray Hotels
Alex & Katie Clarke, The George in Rye
Jeremy Goring, CEO The Goring
Robin Hutson, Executive Chairman of the Limewood Group and founder of The Pig
Edmund & Charles Inkin, EatDrinkSleep - Felin Fach Griffin, The Gurnard’s Head and The Old Coastguard
Paul Milsom, Chairman and Managing Director of Milsom Hotels
Mark Sainsbury, Co Owner of The Zetter Group
Andrew Stembridge, Managing Director of Chewton Glen
Rebecca Whittington, Emma Stratton & Deborah Wakefield, Co Owners of Bedruthan and The Scarlet.
Fiona Duncan, Sunday Telegraph’s ‘Hotel Guru’
Henrietta Green, Consultant The Independent Hotel Show
David Hancock, Sawdays & Room at the Inn
Peter Hancock, Chief Executive, Pride of Britain
James Lohan, Co-Founder, Mr & Mrs Smith
George Sell, Editor, Boutique Hotel News
- The Independent Hotel Show takes place from 16th – 17th October 2012 at West Hall, Olympia, London, W14 8UX.
- The Independent Hotel Show is organised by SME London Ltd and Fresh Montgomery and supported by Mr & Mrs Smith, Pride of Britain Hotels and The B&B Association
- To register as a member of the press, please click here
- Registration and entrance are FREE to all owners, operators and key decision-makers in the hospitality industry
- For press enquiries, please contact Charlotte Drewry: charlotte.drewry@
- For PR and marketing enquiries please contact Tom Clarkson: Tom@single-market.co.uk Tel: 020 7886 3085
- Please visit www.independenthotelshow.co.uk for full event details and features