PRLog - Oct. 15, 2012 - LYNCHBURG, Va. -- While research shows evidence that children benefit from receiving education in their first language, there is a shocking absence of digital tools for education in languages other than English.
Because we believe in the power of mobile phones to improve literacy through the use of simple apps in learners’ mother tongue languages, we are launching the Education Apps For All Challenge. We want to encourage developers to work together with educators to create apps in a variety of languages that target learners at the elementary education level.
To make the creation of literacy apps easier for developers, iLearn4Fun is creating a database of open resources (images and audio clips in a variety of languages) that can be accessed at Art4Apps.org.
Winning submissions can earn cash prizes of $3,000 or $5,000 worth of PR and mentoring
Submit starts: October 15th
End of round 1: November 30th
Finalists announced: December 23rd
End of round 2: February 15th
Winners announced: February 23th,
International Mother Tongue Day
1. The app should answer educational needs for learners in elementary (primary) school.
2. The app should be developed by a team that includes at least one educator.
3. The developers are encouraged (but not required) to use resources from Art4Apps.org (images and audio files).
4. The app should be easily adaptable to different languages using the same or different activities and resources.
5. The apps should come in at least one language other than English and the applicants must be willing to adapt their apps in other languages.
6. The categories of apps to be submitted are: feature phone apps and smartphone apps.
We invite the ICT community, schools, educators, foundations, NGOs, government agencies and telecommunication companies to support this initiative and make this challenge a success.
Contact: Isabelle Duston
Company Name: iLearn4Fun Inc (501C3)
Telephone Number: 1 434 851 0651
Email Address: email@example.com
Web site address: www.educationappsforall.org