The Hampton Inn & Suites Miami Brickell-Downtown is also outperforming the market when it comes to guest satisfaction, rising to become the top ranked hotel among 130 Miami-area properties on TripAdvisor.com®
Less than one year after opening its doors, there is evidence the hotel’s green investments are paying off. Overall energy savings are 16% below the property’s initial budget and 20% below LEED baseline building performance requirements. Actual water consumption is 17% below budget thanks to low-flow water fixtures, efficient washing machines and a 35,000 gallon cistern that harvests rainwater for irrigation purposes. Natural gas costs are 49% below budget, the result of high-efficiency boilers and a laundry system that uses less hot water and reduces drying time. And electricity costs, the largest source of energy consumption for hotels, are 11% below budget.
“The hotel industry has historically trailed other sectors when it comes to emphasizing sustainability, largely due to excessive energy and water usage,” said Bernard Wolfson, president of Miami-based hotel development firm Hospitality Operations, Inc., the hotel’s owner. “We are overcoming these obstacles at the Hampton Inn & Suites Miami Brickell-Downtown by embracing green features that conserve resources, appeal to eco-conscious guests, and reduce our operating costs.”
LEED certification of the hotel was based on green design and construction features that positively impact the project and the broader community:
• A 35,000 gallon cistern to harvest rainwater for irrigation and washing exterior surfaces including decking, walkways and driveways
• An in-room energy management system which automatically powers down air conditioning systems when guests are not in their rooms
• Energy Star-qualified compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) and LED lighting, televisions and other appliances
• Occupancy sensors which control lights in public spaces and work areas
• An ozone laundry system designed to reduce the consumption of water, energy and cleaning chemicals
• Low-flow water fixtures, dual flush toilets, and motion-activated faucets that reduce water usage
• Biodegradable plates, cups and tableware for use at breakfast and coffee stations
• Paints with low volatile organic compounds
• Environmentally safe, non-toxic cleaning agents used by housekeeping staff
• Preferred garage parking spaces designated for hybrid and electric automobiles, with electric vehicle charging stations available for guests
• Bicycle racks, showers and changing facilities for employees who bike and walk to work
“Downtown Miami is one of the world’s most dynamic hotel markets, with more and more visitors from around the world looking to our urban core as a destination each year,” said City of Miami Mayor Tomas Regalado. “Given this growth and international appeal, it’s only fitting that downtown is now home to our city’s first LEED certified hotel. The Hampton Inn & Suites has set a new standard for hotel development in the City of Miami, and we hope to see a shift toward green design and construction across the broader hotel market.”
In addition to its eco-friendly design and construction features, the Hampton Inn & Suites Miami Brickell-Downtown is centrally located within walking distance to several public transit systems – with Metromover and Metrorail stations less than a block away from the hotel. Guests also have direct train access to and from Miami International Airport with the new AirportLink, a 2.4-mile extension of the Metrorail system. The hotel’s close proximity to dozens of retail, restaurant and entertainment options creates a pedestrian-friendly atmosphere.
Amenities at the 15-story hotel include a rooftop pool/spa deck; full-service lobby/pool bar; state-of-the-
The chic, “boutique-
Located at 50 SW 12th Street in Downtown Miami’s Brickell Financial District, the Hampton Inn & Suites Miami Brickell-Downtown is owned by Hospitality Operations Inc. and managed by Tennessee-based management group Hospitality America, Inc.
To book reservations, please call (305) 377-9400 or visit www.hamptoninnmiamibrickell.com;