1. The goal is yours – you own the goal. The goal must be your goal. You are unlikely to achieve your manager’s goal, your spouse’s goal or the goal you think you “ought” to work on this year. You must believe there is something in it for you to accomplish them.
2. Once you have chosen your goal, write it down and post it where you will see it multiple times a day.
3. Break down your goal into milestones, and mark your calendar with a completion date for each one. If your goal requires daily tracking, make a chart and hang it next to the calendar. Track your progress and see how far you’ve come.
4. Tell someone about your goal, and ask for tough love! There will be times you want to give up, and a good hard shove is just what you need.
5. Reward yourself. Whenever you complete your next step towards your goal, give yourself a small but tangible reward.
6. Take Action . Many people are excellent at goal setting however, if they never take action, all the effort is wasted. So when you define your goals, build into them an action plan, and make sure you take that action. Start with the first simple step, remembering that every journey starts with the first step.
7. Focus on the Positive. When you are setting out to achieve, it is important that you phrase all of your goals in the positive. The main reason for keeping goals in the positive, is that it sends a clear image to your subconscious mind as to what it is you are trying to achieve.
8. Visualise Success. This is very important. If you work with your subconscious mind, you will achieve your goals. Your subconscious mind works in images, such as in dreams. Therefore, if you visualize the successful achievement of your goals, you will be successful. This produces real results, as this is how the top sports-people are trained.
9. Don’t let your momentum fade after reaching your goals. You won! You did it! Now - set another goal! Goal setting should be an ongoing process, leading to bigger and better things every year.
10. Never, never, never give up. Fight for the person you know you can be. Set goals that make you push yourself, but don’t give up if you miscalculate and set the bar a little too high. Readjust and keep going - you can do it. Be your own strongest supporter, and you will achieve all of your goals.