“In my experiment, I placed three smoke detectors in Ziploc bag and filled it with carbon monoxide,” Dennis said. “The common combination smoke-fire-gas-
About Low Levels of CO
Carbon monoxide is produced when any type of fuel is burned. As fall hits and fireplaces and furnaces are lit, it’s critical to implement proper carbon monoxide detection within the home. The Environmental Protection Agency states:
“Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned. If appliances that burn fuel are maintained and used properly, the amount of CO produced is usually not hazardous. However, if appliances are not working properly or are used incorrectly, dangerous levels of CO can result.”
Dangers of Carbon Monoxide Exposure
Although carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas, it comes with many dangers and can be fatal. Exposure to low-levels of CO can hurt both children and adults. What may appear as initial flu symptoms can actually be related to carbon monoxide poisoning. Ongoing exposure of low-levels of CO may result in headaches, dizziness, and nausea and turn severe and sometimes fatal if prolonged.
“Low levels of prolonged carbon monoxide exposure can be just as dangerous as high levels of exposure,” Dennis said.
About Climate Control
Climate Control Heating & Cooling is one of Kansas City’s most trusted HVAC companies. Since 1987, Climate Control has been guaranteeing comfort through HVAC installs and repair. Climate Control is home to Kansas City’s beloved Comfort Bear. To learn more, please visit http://climatecontrolkc.com/