On Salzburg’s historic Cathedral & Residenzplatz Squares, the Salzburg Christmas Market will present 95 artisans exhibiting and selling home-made gifts, Christmas decorations, glühwein, festive snacks and mementos. The market opens daily at 10 am (earlier at the weekend), with highlights including the blessing of the Advent Crown and local Turmblasen (horn-blowing)
Also opening in the city on November 22 are the Hellbrunn Christmas Market at Hellbrunn Palace by the city gates and the Christmas Market on Mirabellplatz Square in front of the picturesque Mirabell Palace. Waldbad Anif Christmas Market, in the south of Salzburg, opens on November 23, combining the attractions of the seasonal market and cuisine with an arts festival in a delightful forest setting. And the Hohensalzburg Fortress Christmas Market begins on November 30 - worth the funicular ride for its stunning views overlooking the city. Other markets appear throughout the city during December: worth a look are Stern’s at the Sternbrau Brewery in Sterngarten and St Leonhard’s outside the pilgrimage church of the same name.
The surrounding SalzburgerLand countryside is full of classic Alpine villages, every one with its own distinct charm, character and Christmas market.
For full information about the choice of Christmas Markets in SalzburgLand and Salzburg City, visit: www.salzburgerland.com and www.salzburg.info respectively. For a one-week package try Crystal Ski’s twin-centre holiday, departing December 15, priced from £676 pp. The package includes flights, transfers, accommodation for 2 sharing and combines 3 nights in Salzburg for Christmas Markets and a classic festive ambience with 4 days skiing in Zell am See where the Christmas Market is one of the best. To book: 0871 231 2256 / t www.crystalski.co.uk
For images/further information contact Jane Parritt: email@example.com (01367 820766)
Follows a list of some of the many Christmas Markets opening across the SazlburgerLand region of Austria in November and December:
• Bad Hofgastein Christmas Market in the high Alpine Gastein valley you can combine skiing with sleigh rides, Nativity plays and folk music
• Grossarl & Huttschlag Christmas Market is secluded in Grossarl in the mountains to the south east of Salzburg
• Gut Aiderbichl Christmas Market in Henndorf at the foothills of Salzburg invites children to create their own nativity scenes and watch gingerbread baking and blacksmiths at work
• Maria Alm Christmas Market at the foot of the Hochkönig mountains, south of Salzburg, is known for its Alpenhorn music, Nativity scenes, sleigh rides and torch-lit processions
• Oberndorf Christmas Market on Stille Nacht Platz - a favourite pilgrimage for Austrians for its Christmas-card atmosphere and a celebration of the famous carol (Silent Night).
• Strobl Christmas Market, in the Salzkammergut Lake District of SalzburgerLand (www.wolfgangsee.at ), is famous for its nativity scene lit by hundreds of candles, lanterns and Christmas trees; from November 24
• St Wolfgang Christmas Market on the Wolfgangsee Lake, with shimmering lights reflected in the water; visit by boat to pass the giant floating Peace Lantern and illuminated Oxen Cross
• St Gilgen Christmas Market, adored for its Mozart and Sound of Music connections and best enjoyed when combined in a tour with St Wolfgang and Strobel
• Zell am See Christmas Market in a lively old town in a beautiful lakeside setting, with Krampus processions and brass band concerts