* Plan your company's strategy for UAE by assessing factors driving and restraining market growth.
* Gain insight into how the healthcare system works in the UAE, including the relationship between public and private provision.
* Evaluate the competitive environment in the UAE with analysis of both local and international pharmaceutical companies.
* Understand the healthcare regulatory environment in the UAE and key changes that have occurred.
* Identify key characteristics of the pricing and reimbursement process in the UAE and how cost controls are starting to impact on the market.
Full Report Details at
The UAE pharmaceutical market has undergone considerable growth over the last four years, registering a CAGR of 30% between 2006 and 2009, which will slow to 16% to 2017. The reduction in growth is due to government cost containment strategies.
Many large pharmaceutical companies have made the UAE their regional base and operate out of Dubai or Abu Dhabi. The presence of local companies is also growing, with many aiming to diversify into production of branded generics and innovative medicines.
An aging population, increased incidence of lifestyle related diseases such as obesity and diabetes and the involvement of the private sector in healthcare provision are driving growth in the pharmaceutical market.
Reasons to Get this Report
* What are the main contributors to the UAE's gross domestic product and how does its economic performance compare to its Arab neighbours?
* How have changing social and demographic trends affected the provision of healthcare?
* What are the leading causes of illness and mortality in the UAE and what actions are being taken to tackle key diseases?
* Which Western pharmaceutical companies have a presence in the UAE and what activities are they involved in?
* How has healthcare reform affected the overall market and what are the implications for the future?
Partial Table of Contents:
About the author
* The macroeconomic environment
* The healthcare environment
* Healthcare regulation and reform
* The pharmaceutical market
The macroeconomic environment
* Country overview
* The economy
* Future outlook
* Political overview
* Political reform in the UAE
* Social and demographic trends
The healthcare environment
* The healthcare system
* Public and private health provision
* Healthcare expenditure
* Disease burden
* Major causes of mortality
* Burden of disease
* Communicable diseases
* Healthcare utilization
Healthcare regulation and reform
* Regulatory overview
* Federal regulation
* The role of the Emirates
* The regulatory process
* Healthcare reform in the UAE
* Pricing and reimbursement in the UAE
* The Registration and Drug Control Department - responsible for approval and pricing of drugs
* Prices in the UAE are significantly higher than other markets
* Health insurance has introduced payer controls
* Formulary lists are cost-containment tools that are used in the UAE
The pharmaceutical market
* Market overview
* Generic and branded medicines
* Pharmaceutical imports and exports
* Key growth drivers
* Market resistors
* Competitive environment
* International pharma companies in the UAE
* Local and regional presence
* (Untitled section)
* Table: Arab Peninsula GDP by country, $bn, 2005-09
* Table: Demographic profile of the UAE, 2012
* Table: Healthcare expenditure in the UAE compared to key international markets (%GDP), 2006-15
* Table: Causes of death in the UAE, 2008
* Table: Deaths from cancer in UAE, 2008
* Table: Disease burden by category (DALYs/1000 capita per year ), 2009
* Table: Reported communicable disease in UAE, 2008
* Table: Child immunization and coverage UAE, 2008
* Table: Julphar manufacturing capacity
* Table: Neopharm's annual capacity
* Figure: Population of UAE by emirate, 2008
* Figure: OPEC members GDP and GDP growth, 2006-10
* Figure: GDP per capita in the UAE ($000s), 2004-15
* Figure: Population growth in the UAE, 1990-2010
* Figure: UAE immigrant population by nationality, 2009
* Figure: Public spending as a proportion of total UAE healthcare expenditure, 1995-2009
* Figure: Private health insurance enrollment in Abu Dhabi, 2010
* Figure: Healthcare expenditure per capita ($), 2009
* Figure: Key health indicators for the UAE, 1960-2010
* Figure: Deaths by cause (%), 2008
* Figure: Number of hospital beds per 10,000 population in selected countries, 2008
* Figure: Number of healthcare professionals per 10,000 population, 2010
* Figure: UAE pharmaceutical market ($bn), 2006-17
* Figure: Pharmaceutical trade dynamics in the UAE
Full Table of Contents is available at:
The Datamonitor Group is a world-leading provider of premium global business information, delivering independent data, analysis and opinion across the Automotive, Consumer Markets, Energy & Utilities, Financial Services, Logistics & Express, Pharmaceutical & Healthcare, Retail, Technology and Telecoms industries. Datamonitor's market intelligence products and services ensure that you will achieve your desired commercial goals by giving you the insight you need to best respond to your competitive environment.