The offshore Support vessel Shergar owned by Global Offshore Services Ltd. India was accommodated for major drydocking and lay up repairs during July 2012. The vessel was accommodated in Drydock No. 04 during this call.
The vessel was operating in the Indian waters; therefore Colombo was the best choice for them given the track record of the yard on similar repair / upgrading jobs. Colombo’s flexibility to accommodate owners requirements, flexible approach to tackling the last minute modifications required by charters and timely completed final repair output to meet with classification society guidelines.
Colombo Dockyard’s proven track record for repairs and shipbuilding specialising in sophisticated DP 2 enabled offshore support vessels to the international market, enhances the shipyard’s attractiveness to international ship owners looking for conversion / retrofitting repair requirements in this territory. Colombo’s strategic geographic position also plays a part, as the owners can place the vessel easily for their next employment in the Indian Ocean or shift to the Atlantic or Pacific oceans.
During this call the owners were preparing the vessel for her next charter in Brazil, key systems were upgraded during this repair call, tanks were converted to meet the new charterer requirements as well.
The work extensive scope package consisted of:
• Shifting of the deck manifolds for vent lines and cement discharge lines. Pipe modification as per Class (ABS) approved drawings in the engine room and inside tanks.
• Tank Conversion: Blasting and painting of 13 Nos of tanks for converting to fresh water and diesel oil tanks.
• Overhauling of both main engines. Installation of New shaft generator.
• Renewal of hinge pins, bushes of port side rudder breaking flap.
• Installation of 20 Nos. reefer sockets on the main deck, wiring them and terminating all on a new sealed generator unit and fixing them on the forecastle deck. Installation of Bridge Navigation Watch alarm system.
• Installation of VERIPOS and VSAT systems for navigation an offshore operations. Installation of remote tank level gauging system for 33 tanks.
• Remove wooden sheathing and carry out full blasting of the entire main deck. Servicing STBD shaft generator and two alternators. Fabricating a partition bulkhead between the STBD day tank & no 3 STBD fuel oil tank.
• Routine drydocking related repairs were also carried out.
The project was coordinated by the Mr. Priyanka Cooray –Ship Manager, ably supported by the production teams. Deck department work involvement and coordination was smoothly handled by Mr. Heshan De Silva and his team, while the invoicing task was done by Mr. Sarathchandra. The repairs were carried out meeting the requirements of classification Society American Bureau of Shipping (ABS). The owner’s representative Mr. Vinay Mohile Asst. General Manager and Mr Kamal Agrawal – Director Technical overlooked the project in Colombo. The Local agents for the vessel during this call were Mc Learence Shipping Ltd.