According to the ASTM, a bassinet/cradle is a small bed supported by free standing legs, a wheeled base, a rocking base or the function to swing relative to a stationary base. When at rest, a rocking or swinging bassinet/cradle must have a horizontal sleep surface.
A bassinet/cradle accessory is a supported sleep surface that can be attached to a crib or play yard.
Additions and changes to the 2012 version resulted from discussions within the ASTM subcommittee for bassinets/cradles and with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) staff for inclusion in the final rules for bassinets/cradles according to Section 104(b) of the CPSIA (Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act). It is anticipated that the CPSC final rule for bassinets/cradles will be published later this year.
Changes to ASTM F2194-12
• When used in Bassinet/Cradle mode it shall not contain a restraint system in the occupant area.
• Side height to be 7.5 inches (191 mm) above the mattress surface.
• Added bounded opening requirement for fabric sided products as well as utilization of the torso probe as measurement device.
• Added a deflection angle limit of 20° for bassinets having a rock/swing feature.
• Added a rest angle limit of 7° for bassinets with a rock/swing feature.
• Increased font size requirement for “SUFFOCATION HAZARD” Warning.
The revised safety standard can be purchased at the ASTM website (http://www.astm.org/
About SGS Services for Juvenile Products
Throughout the global network of laboratories, SGS is able to provide a wide range of services, including analytical testing and consultancy (http://www.sgs.com/
Please do not hesitate to contact the SGS experts for further information.
SGS Consumer Testing Services
Technical Director Hardgoods
SGS North America Inc.
291 Fairfield Avenue
Fairfield, NJ 07004
t: +973 575 5252
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With 70,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,350 offices and laboratories around the world.