PRLog - Aug. 30, 2012 - With this safety specification, the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) safeguards products intended to provide sleeping accommodations only for an infant up to approximately 5 months of age or when the child begins to push up on hands and knees, whichever comes first. Products used in conjunction with an infant swing are not covered by this safety standard.
ASTM_ publishes- revised- standard- for- bassinets-
According to the ASTM, a bassinet/cradle is a small bed supported by free standing legs, a wheeled base, a rocking base or the function to swing relative to a stationary base. When at rest, a rocking or swinging bassinet/cradle must have a horizontal sleep surface.
A bassinet/cradle accessory is a supported sleep surface that can be attached to a crib or play yard.
Additions and changes to the 2012 version resulted from discussions within the ASTM subcommittee for bassinets/cradles and with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) staff for inclusion in the final rules for bassinets/cradles according to Section 104(b) of the CPSIA (Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act). It is anticipated that the CPSC final rule for bassinets/cradles will be published later this year.
Changes to ASTM F2194-12
• When used in Bassinet/Cradle mode it shall not contain a restraint system in the occupant area.
• Side height to be 7.5 inches (191 mm) above the mattress surface.
• Added bounded opening requirement for fabric sided products as well as utilization of the torso probe as measurement device.
• Added a deflection angle limit of 20° for bassinets having a rock/swing feature.
• Added a rest angle limit of 7° for bassinets with a rock/swing feature.
• Increased font size requirement for “SUFFOCATION HAZARD” Warning.
The revised safety standard can be purchased at the ASTM website (http://www.astm.org/
About SGS Services for Juvenile Products
Throughout the global network of laboratories, SGS is able to provide a wide range of services, including analytical testing and consultancy (http://www.sgs.com/
Please do not hesitate to contact the SGS experts for further information.
SGS Consumer Testing Services
Technical Director Hardgoods
SGS North America Inc.
291 Fairfield Avenue
Fairfield, NJ 07004
t: +973 575 5252
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With 70,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,350 offices and laboratories around the world.