After few days, you will notice mold on everything; every chair, every bed, every carpet and every wall was covered with mold. The house will look like a cube of mold. Nevertheless, any flooding in a house whether caused by a broken pipe, sewage back up, water damage, a clogged sewer line or a bashing by Mother Nature can cause serious problems.
But there are ways to deal with water when it's where it doesn't belong, and things to avoid while doing so. The first thing you don't do is touch anything electric when you're standing on a wet floor. It is not uncommon for people who have a flood in their basement to wade through the water to turn on lights or turn off appliances. In fact, even with just a few inches of water enough, for example, to saturate live electrical outlets near the floor. It is dangerous to be there in the first place.
You wouldn't play with your radio while you're sitting in the bathtub. Well, when you're wading around in ankle-deep water, the whole basement's a bathtub.
The best thing to do when water has soaked anything connected to an electrical circuit including furnace motors, washers and dryers and wall outlets is to call in an expert.
If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.
After standing water has been pumped out of a house, there then remains the more difficult job of drying out everything that got wet.
Whenever you have water damage in a house, you basically have a 72-hour window of opportunity to reverse it. This is because water can continue to cause problems long after the flood has receded. Residual dampness in walls and under carpets can cause as much damage as the initial submersion. In addition to permanently weakening carpet fibers and softening sheetrock walls, imbedded dampness can warp wood floors, shrink drapes and even curl pictures in rooms that were not involved in the original flood.
If water damage zone inc (http://waterdamagezoneinc.com)
The first thing that must be done after standing water has been removed is to prevent mold and mildew from forming by treating all damp surfaces with a mildew inhibitor and then thoroughly drying everything out.
For some reason, people seem to keep things like photo albums, wedding dresses, yearbooks and old love letters in boxes in the basement and it's only after a disaster hits that they realize how valuable those things are.