The survey asked participants a range of questions about their attitudes towards marketing via mobile devices, as well as about their behavior following receipt of these messages. Mobile marketing was defined as email messages, SMS and in-app messaging accessed via a mobile device.
Email messages were the big winner among consumers, with survey respondents clearly picking email as their preferred form of mobile brand messaging. But frequency of those messages is key with most respondents saying they were willing to open messages from a brand once a week. Targeting is also key, with smartphone users being the most likely to open email and then to make a purchase following receipt of an email promotion.
In its analysis of the findings, Forrester states that "[p]romotional emails among smartphone owners have the most success for resulting in a purchase with a little over a third of this group reporting they have done this previously."
"With smart phone adoption approaching 50%, marketers ignore mobile marketing at their peril," said Tal Nathan, vice president of client services, StrongMail. "At StrongMail, our internal strategists are helping our clients to get ahead of the curve with mobile-optimised email templates and fully integrated cross-channel campaigns that expertly blend the strengths of email and mobile."
• Smart phone owners are more open to receiving promotional messages from brands they like compared with those who own standard mobile phones.
• Consumers have little interest in receiving in-app promotional messages and SMS Messages – even smartphone users – though they are at least 3X more likely than standard phone users.
• In terms of frequency, consumers are largely open to receiving promotional messages via email at least once a week (52% overall and 65% for smart phone owners). But when it comes to SMS and in-app messages, interest in receiving these decreases. (60% and 63% respectively never want it.)
• Nearly a third of smart phone users (32%) have made a purchase after receiving a promotional email; however, purchases after SMS or in-app messages decreases to 9% and 6% respectively.
• Smart phone owners experience the most technical challenges when attempting to interact with their brand via their device, with top offenses being bad links (28%), non-mobile optimised email templates (28%) and network connectivity (23%).
About StrongMail Systems, Inc.
We're StrongMail. We cater to forward-thinking enterprises that are looking for more than just a “me-too” email marketing solution. As our name implies, we’re all about helping our clients create strong email marketing programs – ones that are impactful, effective and efficient. We believe that email provides the foundation for great interactive marketing, and that social media and mobile marketing serve to strengthen that foundation. While StrongMail was recently identified by a leading independent research firms as one of only six ESPs suited for enterprise marketers alongside vendors like ExactTarget, Responsys and Cheetahmail, our solutions and approach are very different (which is why enterprises and high-volume senders like us). Talk to us. See how StrongMail is different, and how that difference can help your business grow. Learn more at www.strongmail.com.
Chris Netto/Lauren Dew
+44 (0) 1252 717 040