This hot-topic seminar explores the commerce, taxing and spending powers of the U.S., as well as the possibility of expanding Medicaid coverage within all fifty states over the next 18 months, as a result of the June 28, 2012, U.S. Supreme Court decision on “National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius,” which upholds Congress’ authority to enact provisions within the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) and the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act (HCERA). Stay abreast of this historic Supreme Court decision with the information presented throughout this live webcast, including:
• the facts underlying the Supreme Court’s decision;
• the constitutional questions of commerce, taxing and spending;
• the Medicaid expansion provision;
• the impact of the Court’s limitation on federal power over the program; and
• the possible political acts (state and federal) that will now shape final implementation of law.
The program qualifies for 1.5 credit hours based on a 60 minute MCLE (Minimum Continuing Legal Education) credit hour, and is sponsored by the ISBA Health Care Section.
Cost for the online course is $45 for ISBA members and $75 for non-member lawyers and non-lawyers. Registration is available online only through the ISBA FastCLE store at
The 33,000-member ISBA, with offices in Springfield and Chicago, provides professional services to attorneys, and education and services to the public.