PRLog - July 27, 2012 - CHICAGO -- Chicago Ill (July, 26) – The Organization of Black Aerospace Professionals, Inc.(OBAP), formerly the Organization of Black Airline Pilots, Inc. will hold its 36th Annual Convention and Career Exposition at the Las Vegas Hotel & Casino (LVH), Las Vegas, NV, July 31-August 3 ."Honoring Our Past- Ensuring Our Future” is the theme of the convention that includes programs for youth interested in careers in Aerospace/Aviation, a major Aerospace/Aviation Job Fair with recruiters from major and regional airlines who have immediate positions to fill, scholarship golf tournament and concludes with the annual black tie awards gala recognizing the outstanding achievements of the Tuskegee Airmen, industry members, students and corporate partners.
OBAP Cheryl , Albert & Tuskegee Airmen in Dallas R
The convention and expo at the LVH, will include events that are open to the public and held at the host hotel and various other locations throughout the city.
• Annual Scholarship Golf Tournament ,Tuesday, July 31 at the Revere Golf Course in Henderson Nevada
• The Career Development Center and Career Fair opens with a ribbon cutting ceremony at 11 a.m. on Wednesday, August 1 and offering an Interviewing Skills Workshop and Industry Hiring Symposium
• Opening Welcome Reception providing attendees an opportunity to network begins at 7 p.m. Wednesday, August 1
• The OBAP Collegiate Convention Series includes the launch of the OBAP Collegiate Masters Program, August 1, "Pathways to Careers in Aviation”, August 2 at 2 p.m. and Wings Financial Education Seminars, “Solving the Mysteries of Credit Reports and Investment Basics, August 2, 3-5 p.m.,
• Annual Founders’ & Pioneers’ Breakfast Thursday, August, 2 at 8 a.m. honoring Eleanor J. Williams, Retired Federal Aviation Administration (given posthumously);
• Annual Youth Programs and Luncheon Thursday, August 2 - all day.
• Awards and Recognition Reception, 7 p.m., Thursday, August 2
Unique events featured during the convention further OBAP’s mission of motivating youth to become educationally prepared through Science Technology Engineering and Math (STEM) programs include a full day of speakers, workshops, interactive exhibits and financial literacy sessions with the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).FedEx Express is sponsoring the youth luncheon featuring motivational speaker, and author Larry Jemison.
The convention finale will be the Chief Anderson Awards Gala Friday evening, a salute to those who have achieved in various areas of aviation/aerospace. The award is named after American Aviation Pioneer Charles Alfred “Chief” Anderson, considered the father of black aviation having taught himself to fly at the age of 22 and receiving his private license in 1929 and commercial pilot’s license in 1932. In 1940 he was hired as the Chief Flight Instructor by the Tuskegee Institute and was instrumental in the Tuskegee Experiment and the famed Tuskegee Airmen of World War II for which Chief Anderson was the greatest mentor.
Sponsors for the OBAP convention include American Airlines, American Eagle, American Airlines Credit Union, Alaska Airlines, Delta Air Lines, FedEx Express, SouthWest Air Lines, United Airlines, UPS, US Airways and Wings Financial.
Co-Conventioneers include the International Black Aerospace Council member organizations:
For additional information on OBAP convention activities please contact the Organization of Aerospace Professionals at 1-800-JET-OBAP, email at nationaloffice@
About The Organization of Black Aerospace Professionals
OBAP, formerly the Organization of Black Airline Pilots is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization, founded in 1976 to increase the number of African-American pilots and women employed in the aviation/aerospace industry. The mission of OBAP focuses on supporting the development of current professionals in the industry while preparing youth to become the future pipeline of talent for the aviation/aerospace workforce through educational opportunities, mentoring, and industry -related projects. Albert Glenn is Chairman of the Board of Directors and Cheryl Chew is Executive Director. The organization is based in Chicago, Ill with international membership. For more information visit www.obap.org
International Black Aerospace Council (IBAC) www.blackaerospace.com
Bessie Coleman Aerospace Legacy (BCAL), www.wearethelegacy.com
Black Pilots of America (BPA), www.bpapilots.org
National Black Coalition of Federal Aviation Employees (NBCFAE) , www.nbcfae.org
Organization of Black Aerospace Professionals (OBAP), www. obap.org
Tuskegee Airmen, Inc. (TAI), www.tuskegeeairmen.org
U S Army Black Aviationa Association (USABAA) , www.usabaa.com