Let us help you by walking thru a series of questions. Your answers will be immensely helpful whether you decide to hire a landscape contractor or if you are heading to a nursery on your own.
1. What will the primary use of the area be?
2. Sun Exposure:
Does your garden face North, East, South or West? Is it against a brick wall or fence? Does it get any shade from buildings or trees? Make a note of the amount of sun exposure the area gets at the following intervals: 8:00am, 11:00am, 3:00pm and 6:00pm.
Your sun exposure and level of maintenance will factor heavily in the selection of plant material
3. How well does water drain through the soil?
Does water tend to collect or drain quickly? Do you have an irrigation system?
4. Are their any restraints in the area:
Utility lines (water, electric, septic, irrigation)? Large trees? Buildings? Paved areas?
5. How much time and/or money do you want to spend on caring for your landscape:
Consider weeding, pruning, fertilizing, mowing, and watering.
6. Is your vision for a formal, geometric garden? Or an informal, flowing garden?
7. Do you have a color preference? What plants do you adore? What plants do you not like?
8. Will you need pathways thru the garden? Or a patio? Arbor? Pergola?
Now you and/or your landscape designer have the guidelines within which to work.