Community invited to free event celebrating older adults, July 28
Palo Alto, CA (July 9, 2012) –The Palo Alto Medical Foundation (PAMF) and Avenidas Village are partnering for better health for older adults and invite the community to the first-ever “Successful Aging Celebration”
“With the right support systems in place, people today can choose to age well in their own homes,” said Avenidas Village Director Vickie Epstein. “In our partnership with PAMF, we want to provide a continuum of care from medical care to support services to seniors in our community.”
“This Successful Aging Celebration will honor seniors – and bring together community resources and organizations aiming to help seniors successfully ‘age in place,’” said Dr. Peter Cheng, medical director of PAMF’s Geriatric Medicine Department and co-organizer of the event. “We think people going through major life changes need more than a doctor to care for them – they need a village – to engage the community. We hope the community will spread the word about this special event and join us in what will be a day to remember!”
Successful Aging Celebration Activities:
• Artwork displayed by senior artists, including photography, water color paintings and sculpture
• Live music performed by accomplished senior musicians
• Gardening demonstrations
• Booths from several community organizations, including Avenidas and PAMF
• Food tastings
• Health education seminars
• Free movie screening sponsored by LYFE Kitchen
• 11:15a.m. – 11:30 a.m. “Successful Aging,” Paul Tang, M.D., vice president and chief technology innovation officer, PAMF Innovation Center
• 11:30 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.: “Grow Well, Not Old,” Karl Knopf, author and lecturer on fitness in older adults
• 12:45 – 1:30 p.m.: “Planning a Good Death,” Lisa Krieger, science and medicine reporter, San Jose Mercury News
• 1:30 – 2:15 p.m.: Facebook for Seniors,” Krista Kobeski, community relations, Facebook
• 2:30 – 4:15 p.m: Movie screening of "How to Live Foreverand Q & A afterwards with the director (Watch the trailer, opens to new window) " (sponsored by LYFE Kitchen)
Note: Seating is limited at the educational seminars and movie. To guarantee a seat at a seminar and/or the movie, please RSVP at pamf.org/successfulaging or call 650-853-4847.
About Avenidas Village
Avenidas Village is an aging-in-place program run by the non-profit senior services agency Avenidas. An annual Avenidas Village membership allows people to live in their own homes as they age and still have access to all the activities and services they want now, as well as those they may need later. Avenidas Village helps simplify people’s lives, reduces their stress, and keeps them mobile, active, and connected with others in their community. Helping seniors stay independent is the number one goal of Avenidas Village. The program is available to adults 50+ who live in the mid-Peninsula. For more information about Avenidas Village, please see our website and join us on Facebook.
About the Palo Alto Medical Foundation
Founded in 1930, the Palo Alto Medical Foundation (PAMF) for Health Care, Research and Education is a not-for-profit, nationally-recognized health care leader and a pioneer in the multispecialty group practice of medicine and health IT. Part of the Sutter Health network of care, PAMF's 1,000 affiliated physicians and 4,900 employees deliver an integrated system of high-quality care to more than 800,000 patients throughout the San Francisco Bay Area’s Alameda, San Mateo, Santa Clara and Santa Cruz Counties. Building upon its culture of innovation, and consistently being an early adopter of new technologies and creating new ways of delivering patient-centered care, PAMF launched its health innovation center in 2010. For more information about the Palo Alto Medical Foundation, please visit our website, blog, newsroom and join us on Facebook and Twitter.
Kari Martell, Avenidas
Palo Alto Medical Foundation