Cumar Marble and Granite's thanks go out to speakers, including Patti Austin, Attorney Rick Dyer, Governor Michael Dukakis, Ted Fujimoto (Founder of The Right to Succeed Foundation), Stephen Powell ( Executive Director of Mentoring USA), and Mayor of Newton Setti D. Warren, for all getting to the core about how mentoring and helping others is imperative for our communities and our future.
"A huge thank you to all our amazing musical performers, including Patti Austin, Charlie Farren, Robin Lane, Hal Lebeaux Boudreau, and Julie Silver. The music you made was a perfect way to make the point about the power of each of us helping another." - Carlotta Cubi, Executive Vice President, CUMAR Marble & Granite
Photos and videos from the event have been posted on Cumar and Over My Shouldder Foundation's Facebook pages.
"We hope the evening was inspirational to you, too! CUMAR Marble & Granite and the Over My Shoulder Foundation‘s goal is to inspire more of us to mentor and support mentoring, so we hope that everyone will take some action to advance the cause of mentoring in Greater Boston and beyond." - Dawn Carroll, Design Specialist, CUMAR Marble & Granite and Executive Director, Over My Shoulder Foundation
Here are a few simple ways you can take action today:
1) Become a mentor. Many mentoring relationships only require one hour per week, but think of how much good you can do for another person’s life with so little time.
2) Donate to one of these terrific local organizations working in mentoring and other vital social causes in our communities.
3) Nominate someone for a MIDDIE. The MIDDIES (Mentors in Design Awards) salute design professionals in interior design, architecture, building, landscape design, and related fields, who share their time, expertise, and wisdom with the next generation.
A nominee might be someone who has mentored you or who you have observed mentoring others during his or her career. The candidate might be your boss, a close colleague, or someone from another discipline who has opened the door to new possibilities.
Nominating someone takes just a few minutes, but is a wonderful way to reward them for their mentoring!
4) Donate to the Over My Shoulder Foundation to fund projects like creating more editorial, video, and audio to help inspire even more people to mentor.
5) Let CUMAR and Over My Shoulder Foundation know what action they have helped inspire you to take... they want to know if their actions are working, too.
CUMAR Marble and Granite looks forward to seeing you at their next event in January 2013.
Cumar, Inc., http://cumar.com, is an importer and fabricator of fine architectural stone. Cumar specializes in the production of vanity tops and kitchen counters, many of which adorn the rooms of some major hotels in the downtown Boston area.
About Over My Shoulder Foundation:
The Over My Shoulder Foundation, http://www.overmyshoulderfoundation.org, is a unique media-based project whose goal is to raise awareness of the impact of mentoring both cross-culturally and cross-generationally.