Thousands of individuals are injured or worse on shop equipment every year. The most common pieces of equipment for injuries include: table saws, jointers, planes, drill presses, lathes, and milling machines.
These are the same machines we are asking our students and teachers to operate and learn on in shop classes. Hands-on experience is crucial in the skilled trades and we don’t want to take that experience away from students. However, we must teach children about machine safety and ensure the equipment they use has been fully audited and has passed regular safety assessments.
Vickers-Warnick applies the same standards the Ministry of Labour mandates to maintain safe working environments for employees to our G.A.A.P. for Schools Program.
Learn more about our School Assessments here: http://www.vickers-
The G.A.A.P. Program
With our G.A.A.P. Program, we take you through a simple system that will ensure the safety of your staff and students around partially dangerous shop equipment.
• Provide a base line safety assessment for shop classroom
• Produce a report outlining current operating condition and identifying any safety shortfalls
• Include a comprehensive quote detailing material and labour needed to complete the job
• Meet with staff to prioritize work
• Create a schedule to minimize disruption to your classroom time
• If requested, we will work in conjunction with your favourite contractor
3. On-Going Review & Maintenance
• Vickers Warnick will provide an annual review to ensure all guards are in place and no new machines have been added or removed
• We consult an online data system which tracks machine inventory as well as current safety and operating conditions
If you are interested in G.A.A.P., we invite you to contact us about our Let’s Get Started Program. Vickers Warnick will give each school board one FREE AUDIT at the school of their choice to help you get started with machine safety.
Article can be read here: http://www.vickers-