PRLog - Jul. 3, 2012 - WICHITA, Kan. -- In honor of Independence Day, overstockArt.com is announcing the debut of its new American Art Gallery. With nearly 75 famous works of art, the gallery is a collection of artwork from great American artists including William Bradford, Mary Cassatt, Martin Johnson Heade, Winslow Homer, Edward Hopper, Georgia O’Keeffe, Edward Potthast, John Singer Sargent, and William Turner.
"The City" by Edward Hopper is one of overstockArt.com's new paintings.
Many of the original hand painted fine art reproductions are brand new to the popular online gallery, while others are fan favorites.
Some of the new works of art include:
• “The City,” Edward Hopper – The original cityscape was created in 1927 by the prominent American realist painter Edward Hopper and is currently part of a private collection. Hopper’s classic works capture the authenticity of urban and rural American life with emotions and beauty that have placed them among the lasting and popular images of the American 20th century landscape.
• “On the Beach,” Winslow Homer – Winslow Homer was a famous American landscape painter and printmaker, best known for his marine subjects. This painting is one of Homer’s captivating seascapes, which depicts a small group of people enjoying the water and sand on a massive scale.
• “Rosina Capri,” John Singer Sargent – American expatriate artist John Singer Sargent was known as the leading portrait painter of his time. “Rosina Capri” is a portrait of Sargent’s favorite muse, an Italian girl from the island of Capri, dancing.
Some of the best-selling fan favorites include:
• “A Sunset Calm in the Bay of Fundy,” William Bradford – William Bradford was an American romanticist painter, photographer and explorer, best known for his paintings of ships and Arctic seascapes. “A Sunset Calm in the Bay of Fundy” is one of his most famous pieces, the painting depicts several ships on the water in the Bay of Fundy, near the Gulf of Maine, watching as the sun goes down.
• “Breakfast in Bed,” Mary Cassatt - Known for her perceptive depictions of women and children, Mary Cassatt was one of the few American artists active in the nineteenth-century French avant-garde. Her masterpiece "Breakfast in Bed" depicts the relationship between mother and child. You can see the tension between the little girl's desire to explore the world, and her mother's focused attention on keeping her safe and securely wrapped in her arms.
• “Red Cannas,” Georgia O’Keeffe – Famous for her landscapes and paintings of flowers, American artist Georgia O’Keeffe paved the way for many female artists who were involved in the art world that was dominated by men at the turn of the century. “Red Cannas” is one of her greatest creations, which delves into the deep, fierce crimsons of the flower.
“We always strive to expand our offerings and provide our customers with their best-loved artwork from famous artists around the world,” said David Sasson, CEO of overstockArt.com. “The American Art Gallery is a celebration of some of the famous American artists who have paved the way for contemporary artists.”
New paintings will be added to the gallery throughout July and August. The American Art Gallery can be viewed at http://www.overstockart.com/
Founded in 2002, overstockArt.com is one the web’s most successful distributors of wall décor items. With more than 100,000 wall décor combinations to choose from in stock at all times, overstockArt.com has become a premier shopping destination for fine art reproductions online. The Wichita, Kan. based online art gallery was named to Inc. Magazine’s 2010 and 2011 Inc. 5000 lists, Internet Retailer magazine’s 2012 Hot 100 list and inaugural Second 500 Guide, and was recognized with the STELLAService Seal for excellent customer service. The retailer also owns and operates Artist Become (ArtistBe.com)