BOOST-STEM is a program created by the Asian Heritage Society and with the collaboration with Alliant International University and the U.S. Navy. The BOOST-STEM is a pilot program that will be held in Montgomery Middle School in Linda Vista on Saturday, June 30.
The purpose of the program is to prepare young girls ages 12 – 16 years, for their future by fostering an appreciation of science, engineering, technology and mathematics coupled with an understanding of how to apply entrepreneurial skills. BOOST is an acronym that stands for Business, Organized Global Education and Opportunity in Science and Technology.
“There are so many opportunities in science, technology, engineering and mathematic (STEM) fields and these four areas will remain strong and in demand for at least for the next 50 years (and beyond). As the technology in these areas continues to advance, the need for qualified professionals will be greater.” says David.
“Girls who pursue Science, Mathematics, Engineering, and Technology drops off by the time they graduate from school. When they are in college, they are less likely than men to pursue a degree in STEM. Girls are more likely to pursue professions in STEM if they are exposed and are educated about the different options.”
She adds, “The environment and the support they receive at a young age will help determine what they will do in the future. This is why this program is so important. It is truly an honor and a privilege for me to be a part of this program. I am very passionate about helping the younger generation have a bright future. If I can help impart inspiration and motivation to change the course of a little girl’s life, then I’ve done my job! We definitely need more women in the STEM professions.”
According to the National Girls Collaborative Project, the needs of young Asian American women are greatly underserved and underfunded. The BOOST-STEM program will encourage and foster their voices and their talents that will benefit our future.
The mentors participating in the program are:
-Navy Capt. Cynthia Macri, Special Assistance to the Chief of Naval Operations for Diversity. A Gynecologic Oncologist, Surgeon, Former Vice President of Recruitment for the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences.
-Kathy David, Co-Founder, President & CEO of IT TechPros, Inc. Entrepreneur, Small Business Owner, Chair of the Regional San Diego Minority Supplier Development Coucil Minority Business Enterprise Input Committee (MBEIC), speaker, and published author.
- Roxanne Girard, owner of Ito Girard & Associates. Expert in Affordable Housing, and longtime San Diego Community Activist.
- Dr. Helen Chen, Co-Founder of the Technology Evaluation Group and Currently Vice President of Business Development for Ambryx Biotechnology, Inc. where she oversees Business Strategic Development.
- Dr. Caroline Hatton, a Vietnamese American Best-Selling Childen Book Author and Former Associate Director of the UCLA Olympic Laboratory. Owner of her own consulting company for sports organizations fighting drug abuse.
- Jonathan Ton, Montgomery Middle School Principal, winner of the Asian Heritage Society’s 2010 Asian Heritage for Education, will oversee the program.
- Rosalyn Carmen, President of Asian Heritage Association and Creator of the BOOST-STEM initiative program San Diego, will oversee the program.
The BOOST-STEM program is available to Montgomery Middle School students and is open to other young girls within the community. Fifty seats are available. To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 619-683-7822.
About IT TechPros Inc.
IT TechPros is a provider of I.T. managed services and solutions for commercial clients throughout Southern California. Since it’s founding on January 2006, IT TechPros has delivered complete I.T. consulting services around a wide range of industries, including manufacturing, educational, legal, commercial construction, financial institutions, along with a variety of other commercial industries. IT TechPros specializes in help desk support, network administration, outsourced I.T. services, hardware implementers, and I.T. consulting.