• A medical triage clinic at the New Orleans Convention Center after Hurricane Katrina.
• A room with a 25-foot tsunami wave, along with stories and drawings made by children who survived the tsunami.
• A Ugandan camp for people displaced by a terrorist group that abducts children and forces them into their “army.”
• A Haitian earthquake site and a tent camp where homeless Haitians are living.
• A Mozambiquan village compound where HIV and AIDS has ravaged the community.
• A Mexico garbage dump, where people live and scavenge for their livelihood.
• A Romanian placement center for orphans and abandoned children.
• A burn unit in a Moldovan children’s hospital
This is the third year that Pilgrim Lutheran students, after seeing the exhibit, have wanted to give back and make a difference after learning about these situations at the REAL.LIFE. exhibit.
“During this school year alone, eighteen students assembled nearly 2100 tags” said Mr. Chris Herold, Pilgrim’s 7th grade teacher. “They worked during their own free time putting tags together, which remind guests of the natural and man-made disasters Medical Teams International travel to in an effort to help those in need.”
As students learned about World Geography this year, they were asked to refer back to their REAL. LIFE. experience.
Medical Teams International will be recognizing the seventh grade class at Pilgrim Lutheran School, with a small thank you treat and personal thanks this Thursday, June 14, at 1:00 pm. The students will present Medical Teams with the last 1000 tags they put together this school year.
About Medical Teams International
Medical Teams International is a Christian global health organization, demonstrating the love of Christ to people affected by disaster, conflict and poverty. We deliver medical and dental care, humanitarian aid, and holistic development programs to all people in need, regardless of religion, nationality, sex, or race. We respond to disasters around the world—and here at home—by sending teams of volunteer medical professionals and medical supplies to care for the sick and injured. We also mobilize long-term health promotion initiatives, collaborating with established partners within each community to ensure that our programs have a sustainable impact. For more information visit http://www.medicalteams.org/
About the REAL.LIFE Exhibit
The REAL. LIFE. Exhibit is a walk-through, multi-sensory exhibit that allows people to experience what REAL. LIFE. is like for children affected by disaster, conflict and poverty. Visitors experience not only the real need but also the REAL. HOPE. that Medical Teams International provides. They see the “before” and “after” scenes of places that have been transformed by the volunteers of Medical Teams International. For more information visit http://www.medicalteams.org/
About Pilgrim Lutheran School
Pilgrim Lutheran School is a Christian day school, serving girls & boys from preschool through eighth grade. Pilgrim Lutheran School admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin. For more or information call the school office 503-644-8697, email school.office@