“The summer is a great time for students to practice what they have learned the previous year and apply that learning to fun summer activities,”
The following are some teachable moments you can find with your child this summer:
1. Continue reading over the summer – Just because school is out, that is no reason to cease the 15 – 30 daily minutes your child’s teacher recommended during the school year. Find cool books to tie into your summer vacation, trips to the pool or summer camp. For example, if your family is headed to the beach this summer, try a fun read for younger kids like Magic Beach by Crockett Johnson or Ladybug Girl Goes to the Beach by David Soman and Jacky Davis. For fun activities – The Big Green Book of the Big Blue Sea by Helaine Becker will not disappoint. For older children, the following two books have won Virginia Readers’ Choice Awards from the Virginia State Reading Association and will set the tone for the sea: Heart of Samurai by Margi Preus for middle school students and Shipbreaker by Paolo Bacigalupi for high school students. These books, and books by Successful Innovations, are available online.
2. Suggest your child keep a summer journal and write in “story format” with an opening, body and closing for each entry. The journal can become a scrapbook by adding memorabilia like tickets from the zoo or movies, swim meet ribbons or artwork from summer camp.
3. Have your child visit the grocery story with you and learn about healthy food options and label-reading. Ask your child to keep a running total of your purchases and to give you an estimate of what you will owe at check-out.
4. Learn sun safety at the pool and prior to your visit. Check out the following websites for information on sun safety - www.sunsafetyforkids.org or www.epa.gov/
5. Take early morning or late evening walks to keep up the physical education focus. Take time to notice and learn about nature. Track your mileage and keep a log.
6. Limit TV and video games. Get out some old-fashioned board games like Clue, Monopoly and LIFE that teach critical thinking and life skills.
Successful Innovations, Inc. was founded in 2006 in Lynchburg, Virginia by two former principals and a retired literacy coach who believed that the solution to increased performance could be addressed through equipping parents with the knowledge necessary to support their child’s education. Their passion to help these parents prompted them to develop and create interactive resources that would make it easier for parents to support their child’s education right in the comfort of their own home. The founders of Successful Innovations believe when a true collaboration exists between the school and home, the results are tremendous, and the educators have been able to launch their company’s resources into 33 states and Puerto Rico. Today, the company works with individual schools, school districts and early childhood centers throughout the nation to provide meaningful opportunities to help parents and students succeed. Successful Innovations has been recognized by the Department of Education, Virginia Governor McDonnell and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. For more information, go to www.si4all.com. LIKE them on Facebook at Successful Innovations, Inc.
Catherine Mosley, Publicist, 434-942-5750