Exposure to asbestos is the primary cause of mesothelioma, the deadly cancer that kills thousands of people each year. It can take anywhere from 10-50 years after exposure before symptoms appear. It normally attacks the lining around internal organs.
The £15 million annual grant from the Department of Culture, Media and Sport, for maintenance of the royal residences, which was set in the 1990s, was frozen in 2008.
In 2008 it was detailed that Buckingham Palace had a £32 million backlog of essential repairs which includes rewiring Buckingham Palace, replacing the roof at Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle, removing potentially dangerous asbestos from Buckingham Palace and redecorating most of the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace for the first time since the Queen came to the throne in 1952. The only State Rooms at Windsor Castle which have been redecorated were the ones damaged by the fire in 1992.
Asbestos was also a problem for the younger Royals, when work began in 2011 at Kensington Palace on the future home of Prince William and Kate, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
The last major renovation at the Palace in London was in 1960, at a time when asbestos use was at its peak. It was used for insulation, in floor and ceiling tiles, and throughout the aging Palace.
The palace originally was known as Nottingham House and has been in the Royal Family since 1689. The residence was last used by Princess Margaret, who died in 2002. A Palace official told People Magazine that William and Kate are not expecting to move in until the summer of 2013.
“Early indications suggest that large quantities of asbestos will have to be removed, as well as work on the heating and hot water systems and electrical wiring,” said the statement to People. “The extent of the work needed to turn the apartment back into a home is not yet known.”
The asbestos issue at the Palace is a positive for those wanting to raise awareness concerning the lethal substance, and the importance of abatement, the process of removing or containing asbestos.
The mineral, once considered so wonderful because of many heat and fire retardant properties, remains prevalent throughout products manufactured before 1980 and construction completed throughout the 20th century.
For more information about asbestos in homes or to speak with one of our expert, please contact our head office on 0113 3856640 or visit our website for further information www.fibreservices.co.uk.