“We are honored to receive the ACC Responsible Care Energy Efficiency Awards as we continue to build our sustainability programs with strong and steadily increasing focus, resources and commitment,”
The ACC Responsible Care Awards are presented annually to honor companies with energy efficiency improvement projects, including the creation of energy teams, communications, goal setting, recognition and management support. Individual ACC member companies nominate specific projects for recognition;
Awards Spotlight SABIC Innovation
The seven Responsible Care Awards presented to SABIC recognize a variety of innovative projects to reduce energy usage and greenhouse gas emissions, and reduce waste disposal.
• SABIC replaced a 20-year-old process chiller at its Burkville, Ala., resin manufacturing plant with a more efficient and environmentally responsible chiller. The old equipment used a refrigerant with high ozone-depleting and high global warming potential. The replacement uses new technology and refrigerants to cut energy usage equivalent to a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions of 432 tons per year.
• At SABIC’s headquarters in Pittsfield, Mass., the company undertook a multi-year site improvement that featured energy-efficient heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) retrofits. The project led to energy savings and a reduction of 7,000 tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions per year.
• At the SABIC Mt. Vernon facility, a process was successfully developed to recover and purify the sodium nitrite from a wastewater stream, and then sell it commercially. Eliminating disposal of the material resulted in reduction in total combined energy intensity for the Mt. Vernon production facility and the offsite disposal facility. This project was awarded “Exceptional Merit” by ACC.
• Also at Mt. Vernon, a specialized chemical unit was upgraded to reduce steam usage and operating costs. The reduction in steam demand resulted in a reduction of 4,198 tons of CO2 per year and 50,156 MMBTU/year of energy.
• The final award honored yet another project at the Mt. Vernon facility. This project was an upgrade to a Lexan* resin unit to recover energy, cut operating costs and reduce greenhouse gases. By reducing the steam demand of the boiler unit, the plant achieved a reduction of 2,006 tons of CO2 per year and 24,000 MMBTU of energy per year.
For additional information on SABIC’s sustainability strategy please go to www.sabic-ip.com. For technical product inquiries, please contact us at www.sabic-ip.com/