Young people have an incredible capacity to learn, inspire and achieve. Engaging in music, dance, theatre or visual arts provide kids with the competitive edge they need to achieve success in every aspect of their lives. Arts camp is a unique environment where children can develop the following skills:
1. Innovation & Creative Thinking – Campers develop creativity and ‘out of the box’ thinking by, being challenged to recite a monologue in 3 different ways, create a painting that represents a memory, or compose a new rhythm to enhance a piece of music.
2. Problem-Solving –Campers get use to approaching a problem as an exciting challenge. The act of learning a dance, creating a sculpture, or developing a comedy sketch, presents campers with exciting challenges to tackle everyday. When they are successful, they will no longer see problems as barriers.
3. Teamwork – Because many arts are collaborative in nature, campers practice working together, sharing responsibility, and compromising with others to accomplish a common goal.
4. Commitment & Discipline – The incredible achievements children experience at arts camp help them realize that extraordinary things can occur when you are dedicated and persevere through challenges. They learn to associate dedication with a feeling of accomplishment, and the warm feeling of an audience’s applause.
5. Trying New Things – This is where art and camp go well together. Camp creates a supportive environment;
6. Non-Verbal Communication – In theatre and dance, campers experience different ways of moving and how those movements communicate different emotions. Campers are also coached on performance skills – developing necessary skills to communicate effectively with an audience.
7. Building Healthy Relationships –At arts camp, children interact with each other in ways they wouldn’t normally. They dance together, play music, relate as various characters, and collaborate to create art pieces. Arts camp has the power to form strong life-long bonds based on a mutual respect for one another’s opinions and values.
These are 7 skills that we teach at Horizon Arts Camp. Everyday we are excited to come to camp to share our passion for the arts and inspire by example. At Horizon Arts Camp we want your kids to have the confidence and drive to achieve their goals, tackle life’s challenges, and discover what their unique talents are!
Join us for innovative arts programming this summer! To gain the full Horizon Arts Camp experience, check out our 3-week sessions (grades 3-8). We also have 1-week sessions for children in grades 1-8. The dates for the sessions are listed below:
Session 1: July 2nd - July 20th
Session 2: July 30th - August 17th
The campers in grades 6-9 choose an Arts Major and Minor. Check out the website to find out more about Arts Major programs such as:
Contemporary Hip Hop Fusion
A Broadway Smash
Sketch Comedy: SNL Style
Clay Sculpture: Creating in the Third Dimension.
Horizon Arts Camp is located in the west end of Toronto near Royal York Road and Dundas Street West, operating out of Kingsway College School.
To find out more, visit our website at http://www.horizonartscamp.org to download a free report with 3 more skills children can gain through participating in the arts.
Check out The Artistic Edge to find some fantastic resources on the benefits for children participating in the arts.