Geriatric Care Managers (GCMs) are a great resource for elders and families:
• GCMs can offer as little or as much assistance as individuals or families need. The care program is individually designed based on the needs of each case.
• GCMs are professionals with extensive training and experience working with older people, they can offer counsel, advocacy, resources and referrals to find the best solutions.
• The GCM represents the best interests of the older person. This may involve facilitating family meetings to come to terms with issues and concerns.
• They can assist older adults to remain at home as safely and independently as possible or they can help families find appropriate housing for an older adult who can no longer remain safely at home.
• GCMs know what resources are available and can assist with coordinating care, enlisting the help of other support services, providing or arranging transportation, and referring to financial, legal and other professionals.
• It is important to choose a GCM who is professionally recognized and certified. In 1985, the National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers (NAPGCM) was formed to advance dignified care for older adults and their families. In order to be a member of NAPGCM, professionals must obtain certification through a combination of education, experience, and credential testing.
• The website www.caremanager.org offers information on what GCMs can offer, as well as a directory of members by zip code.
NVNA Works was founded in 2010 as a division of NVNA and Hospice to meet the growing demand for home care services. Starting with a staff of four NVNA Works now employs 80 staff members including care givers, home health aides, companions, private duty nurses and geriatric care managers. Along with supportive and clinical services, the agency provides Geriatric Care Management and coordination of services.
“We are proud to be able to offer Geriatric Care Management to the families in the over 25 communities across the South Shore,” said NVNA Works Director Christine McDonough, LPN. “Our agency serves as an additional resource for the growing number of families who are facing caring for elderly loved ones. We are committed to offering the same high standard of exceptional care as the NVNA and Hospice and direct families to the best options to meet their needs.”
About NVNA Works
NVNA Works is an affiliate of NVNA and Hospice, a non-profit home health care and hospice agency founded in 1920. We offer a full range of private care services to keep people healthy and safe in their homes, where ever that home is - house, apartment, assisted living community, or skilled nursing facility. Our services include companion care, homemaking, personal care, nursing, rehab therapies, and geriatric care management and are customized to meet each client’s needs. NVNA Works staff is trained and certified in their respective areas of care and maintain the same quality standards that have earned our parent company numerous national and regional quality care and patient satisfaction awards. NVNA Works is accredited by the Home Care Alliance of MA. For further information please call 781-871-1040 or visit www.nvnaworks.org.