The AFRAS C-PORT Award was presented by AFRAS President, Steve Sawyer, to Captain Gridley & crew in Tampa, FL on January 9th, 2012 at the annual C-PORT Conference (please see the current AFRAS C-PORT Award citation under “Honoring Extraordinary Rescues”).
AFRAS President Steve Sawyer attended a regional meeting called by the Officers and Trustees of the International Maritime Rescue Federation held in Alexandria, VA on January 15th, 2012. Other attendees included representatives from the US Coast Guard, US Coast Guard Auxiliary, Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary and Virgin Islands Search and Rescue.
On February 13th, 2012 the AFRAS Caribbean SAR Award was presented to Captain Captain Yves Postec, the French Naval Attache at the French Embassy in Washington DC (representing Guadeloupe) by Coast Guard Auxiliarist Brian McArdle (International Outreach) on behalf of AFRAS (please see the current AFRAS CAR/SAR Award citation under “Honoring Extraordinary Rescues”).
AFRAS Chairman Terry Cross (VADM, USCG (ret.)) will be attending the annual Connecticut Maritime Association Exposition 19 – 21 March, 2012 in Stamford, CT.
AFRAS has added a Corporate Relations Officer position, with duties to interface with potential sponsors and to assist with branding and social media interaction.
The following AFRAS Officers (President, Treasurer, Secretary, Information, Corporate Relations) now have “afras.org”
Corporate Relations: david.mahler@
The 2012 AFRAS Awards Ceremony has been scheduled to take place in the Gold Room of the Rayburn Building on September 20th, 2012; more details to follow.
* AFRAS would like to thank EADS-North America for again generously serving as a Platinum Sponsor of our AFRAS Awards Ceremony for 2012.
* AFRAS would like to thank Lockheed Martin for again generously serving as a Gold Sponsor of our AFRAS Awards Ceremony for 2012.
* AFRAS would like to thank SEA TOW for serving as a Silver Sponsor of our AFRAS Awards Ceremony for 2012.
* AFRAS would like to thank Brunswick Commercial and Government Products for serving as a Silver Sponsor of our AFRAS Awards Ceremony for 2012.
* AFRAS would like to thank the Conference of Professional Operators for Response Towing (C-PORT) for their $500 donation.