Hedstrom competed among 24 accomplished married women from all over the state of Texas to win her title. Areas of competition included interview (both on-stage and personal), fitness wear and evening gown. The Mrs. Texas International system is the premier pageant competition for married women in Texas.
Hedstrom, 34, is a public relations consultant and writer. She and her husband, Eric, live in Allen with their Sheltie, Morgan. Hedstrom graduated as salutatorian from Rockwall High School in Rockwall, Texas, and earned a degree in English, with honors, from Austin College in Sherman, Texas, as a Presidential Scholar. She is a licensed pilot and enjoys racing her car in both autocross and tracking events.
As Mrs. Texas International, Hedstrom will continue to advocate and serve as a spokesperson for Honor Flight, promoting her message of “Honoring Our Veterans.” Hedstrom is a grateful American and proud Texan who considers service to her country something that runs in her blood, as she is the daughter of a Vietnam Veteran and the granddaughter of two WWII veterans. She serves as a national spokesperson for Honor Flight, a nationwide non-profit whose mission is to honor veterans by taking them on an all-expenses-
As part of the Mrs. International system’s national alliance with the Go Red for Women Campaign from the American Heart Association, Hedstrom also promotes a heart-healthy lifestyle through this initiative designed to empower women to take charge of their heart health. As a child, Rachel was diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome, a neuromuscular disorder that robbed her of her ability to walk. Her recovery included learning how to use her nerve-damaged hands to twirl a baton, which started a life-long love of twirling that led her to become a feature twirler on both the high school and collegiate levels. Her passion for her hard-won physical fitness continues to this day, as she is a beginning runner fighting hard to continue her recovery. This background gives her empathy for those struggling with a physical disability – particularly the kids she visits in local hospitals and in the community.
Hedstrom will go on to compete against the other 49 states and countries around the world for the title of Mrs. International on July 21, 2012 at the Northshore Center for the Performing Arts in Chicago, IL.
For more information on the Mrs. Texas International Pageant, please visit the official Mrs. Texas International website, www.mrstexasinternational.com. Keep up with Hedstrom’s travels as Mrs. Texas International by visiting her blog at http://www.texasinternationalpageants.blogspot.com/
About the Texas International Pageant/International Pageant System
* The International System was established more than 20 years ago to adhere to a higher standard than other systems. We're looking more than a pretty face: International Winners have beauty and depth.
* Each contestant is required to select a platform which she will spend the year promoting if selected as Mrs. Texas International.
* Contestants do not compete in a swimwear competition. Instead contestants compete in a more modest "fitness wear" category. This segment of the competition showcases the importance of a healthy, energetic lifestyle.
* Interview is worth 50% of the total score. The interview focuses on a contestant's accomplishments, ambitions and the platform which she has selected.
* All the constants are winners. We make sure that each contestant leaves the competition knowing she is a winner, regardless of whether she received the title.