“This significant win marks the end of a long journey that included an entire year of practice,” said Burd, a resident at Vintage Cerritos. “Bringing home the first place trophy was important for us old-timers who still believe one is never too old to compete and have fun.”
The Cerritos Falcons battled the South Bay Blasters from Front Porch Community in San Diego at Vintage Westwood Horizons in Los Angeles. Surrounded by cheering fans, the eight-member teams played two games resulting in the following scores: Game one: Falcons- 879, Blasters- 653 and game two: Falcons- 830, Blasters- 583. This year, Vintage Senior Living had eleven teams participating in the NSL western regional tournaments. From a health standpoint, the Vintage Senior Living teams gained the following health benefits:
• Improving socialization skills—Encouraging conversations and cheering among players and spectators.
• Stimulating brain functions—Concentrating in lining up the ball and determining speed of the ball.
• Exercising coordination, balance and eye movement—Practicing eye and arm movement to coordinate the activity seen on the screen.
• Building friendships and camaraderie among residents—Benefiting from the overall emotional stimulation from sport competition, spectator participation and after-game discussion.
• Assisting in physical rehab—Stimulating blood circulation and breathing to rejuvenate energy after surgeries.
The NSL organized 11 Wii Bowling state championships across the country. In its third year, the league provides a series of organized Wii Bowling tournaments in retirement communities, which involve more than 160 senior Wii Bowling teams consisting of 900 players.
About Vintage Senior Living:
Vintage Senior Living is a family of retirement communities. Established in 1998, Vintage Senior Living offers a vibrant senior living lifestyle specializing in Independent Senior Living, Assisted Living and Memory Care services for Alzheimer’s and other dementia. Its mission is to help residents thrive in mind, body and spirit through the dedication of its staff and the excellence of its programs. Vintage Senior Living operates a total of 23 communities with 22 throughout California in addition to its retirement community in Tacoma, Wash. For more information, visit www.vintagesenior.com, YouTube, Facebook or Twitter.
About National Senior League:
Incorporated in 2009 the National Senior League (NSL) produces and manages national, state and local Wii bowling championships for senior communities. Teams Wii bowl in their communities once a week for 7 weeks in a league format against opponents from all over the U.S. followed by 3 weeks of playoffs to determine champions in 5 divisions. The NSL provides schedules and league standings, keeps team and individual statistics, provides a webpage for each team, recognizes top performances and gives out awards. For more information, visit www.nslgames.com.