Linda Ferone, Director of Catering for The DoubleTree by Hilton Tarrytown, offers the following trendy and unique ideas for both food and décor that will be sure to make your wedding stand out from the crowd.
Food Trends: Spice up your wedding with dishes and drinks that invoke both nostalgia and novelty.
• Comfort food with a twist. Serve guests foods that they remember as a child, but are now prepared for an adult palate. An example would be Sliders…but make them Kobe beef sliders.
• Bold flavors are big!! You will see more Indian food station stations at buffets and in passing items. Pakora, samosas, curries and chutneys will be incorporated into 2012 menus.
• Pies are popular. You will see more pies in dessert concepts for 2012. Miniature pies, pies to share, hand pies will sometimes be served as opposed to cakes.
• Scotches & Bourbons are all the rage! Dedicated single liquor bars, scotch bars set up as the “after dinner drink”, Mint Juleps, and Manhattans are making a comeback and are replacing the fruit juice vodka cocktails.
• “Short Plates”. Otherwise known as “small plates” are still in vogue, but have a name change. These are miniature tastings of delicious items on small dishes served passed around or on buffet stations.
• Popcorn is not just for the movies anymore. Popcorn stations have replaced candy stations. Using clear cylinders or apothecary jars, assorted flavored popcorns can be offered as a self service station as you exit the reception.
• Engaging the senses is a must for 2012. Can you smell it, hear it, taste it, and see it? These are all elements that should be incorporated as part of the décor or food service.
Décor Trends: The latest trends in wedding reception décor are typically derived from the fashion runway and Hollywood movies.
• Pastels. Pastels are well liked on the runway and will carry on through to events.
These muted colors will be seen in invitations, bridesmaid’s dresses, table linens and floral arrangements. Look for peach, pink and celery colors.
• Geometric Patterns. You will see this in wall coverings, linens, napkins, invitations and throw pillows to show personality in the party.
• Vintage. Things that are old will be new again. From furniture, to glassware, and everything in between, vintage items will be popular this year in décor for events thanks to the movie “The Artist’.
• Hot color combinations. Tangelo & Lime will be a trendy combination.
• Monograms. Both elegant and personal, monograms will be seen in weddings with the bride & grooms initials on just about everything!
• Wedding videos are not just for the bride and groom. Video imagery is getting bigger and better and more common among décor in an event.
• Tabletop gardens are well liked by florists. You will see groupings of natural elements such as moss, orchids, pachyphytum, etc. to create one earthy centerpiece.
“Whether you decide to go with some of these trends or stick to something more traditional, the most important thing is to choose the styles that are right for you as a couple. After all, having a big, happy smile on your face is something that never goes out of style!” concluded Ferone.
About The DoubleTree by Hilton Tarrytown
The DoubleTree by Hilton Tarrytown was recently named a "2012 Best of Weddings" venue by The Knot for its commitment to service and excellence. Set on 11 acres of landscaped grounds in the heart of the Hudson Valley, the hotel offers 247 guest rooms and the largest Grand Ballroom in Westchester County, with 10,000 square feet of flexible space. The DoubleTree by Hilton Tarrytown has a total of 24,000 square feet of meeting and pre-function space, which also includes another ballroom and 17 meeting rooms. In addition, the hotel offers a complimentary business center, indoor pool, sauna, fitness center, day spa, and the delicious Bistro Z restaurant. The hotel offers a beautiful country atmosphere and friendly service for both business and leisure guests.
For more information about The DoubleTree by Hilton Tarrytown, please visit our website at www.tarrytown.doubletree.com. You can also follow us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/