Dania Mazier Tschirhart, Certified Zumba Instructor for Team Church located in Matthews, North Carolina led Saturday’s Zumba class outdoors to lift up their voices for the voiceless victims. Donations came pouring into the parking lot drop off point one car at a time. Zumba members wore the color purple to show their solidarity to raise awareness and help end the horrors and tragedies resulting from domestic violence.
For many Team Church Zumba attendees, these vivid reminders are all too real. Victims often face guilt, fear and shame. Far too many victims succumb to this horrendous epidemic every single day. Many people ask why these victims do not simply leave. More often than not, leaving is not as simple as grabbing a few things and taking off. Clearly, it is hard to understand what these victims are going through, unless you have walked in their shoes. Abusers often instill fear in their victims and ultimately use that fear against them. According to the Domestic Violence Resource Center, the following statistics clearly indicate that domestic violence is out of control, unacceptable and deadly.
• Women accounted for 85% of the victims of intimate partner violence and men accounted for approximately 15%.
• Between 600,000 and 6 million women are victims of domestic violence each year, and between 100,000 and 6 million men are victims.
• Women ages 20-24 are at the greatest risk of nonfatal intimate partner violence.
• Nearly 74% of Americans personally know someone who is or has been a victim of domestic violence.
• On average, more than three women and one man are murdered by their intimate partners in this country every day.
• Among American families, 50% of the men who frequently assaulted their wives also frequently abused their children.
• Studies suggest that between 3.3 and 10 million children witness some form of domestic violence annually.
Turning Point is working to turn our community away from domestic violence. To learn more about Turning Point, visit their website at http://www.unioncountyturningpoint.org. The location of this shelter is not publically shared due to the safety for their clients. For more information on Team Church Zumba, join their social circle https://www.facebook.com/