Full Report Details at
Headline Expenditure Projections
Computer hardware sales: US$3.8bn in 2011 to US$4.1bn in 2012, +8% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms upwardly revised due to analyst modification, although the PC market has matured and there is competition from smartphones.
Software sales: US$799mn in 2011 to US$871mn in 2012, 5% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms upwardly revised due to analyst modification despite the problem of software piracy, which still accounts for about 76% of software.
IT Services sales: US$1.5bn in 2011 to US$1.7bn in 2012, +16.0% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms upwardly revised due to analyst modification, with the floods understood to have given a boost to demand for disaster recovery and business continuity (DR/BC) services.
Risk/Reward Rating: Thailand's score was 39.2 out of 100.0. Thailand ranked ninth in the Asia region in our latest RRR table, ahead of Indonesia, but behind the Philippines and Malaysia. The country's overall ranking was brought down by a relatively low Country Risk score.
Key Trends & Developments.
* We expect Thai enterprise spending to receive a boost in 2012 from post-flood insurance payments. However consumer IT spending is likely to remain affected by the floods throughout 2012, as tens of thousands seek to regroup after the devastation, resulting in a reduction of disposable income for IT purchases. The production shortages have also led to a short-term increase in notebooks prices, reversing a previous trend of decline.
* Consumer demand will still continue to be the main IT market growth driver, owing to economic growth and rising income levels. Amid fierce competition, aggressive promotions and new products are likely to be unveiled by retailers, resulting in pressure on margins.
* Cloud computing spending is expected to grow at a triple-digit rate through 2016. Particular areas of opportunity for cloud computing include banking and retailing as organisations in those fields aim to save money on hardware investments. Improvements in Thailand's broadband infrastructure will also drive the development of the cloud computing market.
Report Table of Contents:
- Thailand IT Sector SWOT
- Thailand Political SWOT
- Thailand Economic SWOT
- Thailand Business Environment SWOT
- Table: Asia IT Risk/Reward Ratings Q212
IT Markets Overview
- IT Penetration
- IT Growth And Drivers
- Sectors And Verticals
Thailand Market Overview
- Government Authority
- Industry Developments
- Table: Thailand's IT Sector - Historical Data & Forecasts (US$mn Unless Otherwise Stated)
Industry Forecast Internet
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Internet - Historical Data & Forecasts
- IT Services
- Wireline (Fixed-Line And Broadband) Developments
- Table: Wireline Developments, 2009
- Table: Thailand - Economic Activity
- Microsoft Corporation
- Hana Microelectronics
Country Snapshot: China Demographic Data
- Section 1: Population
- Table: Demographic Indicators, 2005-2030
- Table: Rural/Urban Breakdown, 2005-2030
- Section 2: Education And Healthcare
- Table: Education, 2002-2005
- Table: Vital Statistics, 2005-2030
- Section 3: Labour Market And Spending Power
- Table: Employment Indicators, 2001-2006
- Table: Consumer Expenditure, 2000-2012 (US$)
- Table: Average Annual Manufacturing Wages, 2005-2012
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Transport Industry
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at http://www.fastmr.com/