Product technology: There are two distinct techniques used for the production of mozzarella cheese:
- traditionally curdled mozzarella: milk is curdled using rennet (lactic acid bacteria) only. Mozzarella produced by this method is eligible for Traditional Specialty Guaranteed (TSG) status according to European Union regulations, as long as several other conditions are met. These conditions include the use of separate structures for receiving and storing raw milk and the use of natural milk starter cultures prepared from fresh raw milk.
- mozzarella curdled using citric acid: milk is curdled using citric acid or a combination of rennet and citric acid. Market to Market
Function: Household consumption of mozzarella is widespread in Italy at both lunch and dinner. Non-household consumption is chiefly related to pizzerias.
- Direct clients: supermarkets, grocery stores, cheese shops, take-away shops, delicatessens, wholesalers and street vendors;
- End clients: families, restaurants and caterers. (Industrial level customers, mainly those who use mozzarella to produce frozen pizzas, will not be covered in this report).
The sector can be segmented according to:
Type of raw material used
- cow's milk: fresh cheese, stretched and kneaded to a delicate consistency, made with cow's milk;
- water buffalo milk: fresh cheese, stretched and kneaded to a delicate consistency, made with 100% water buffalo milk or a mixture of buffalo and cow milk. (N.B. 100% water buffalo mozzarella includes "Mozzarella di Bufala Campana DOP", i.e. buffalo mozzarella with Protected Destination of Origin status, as well as mozzarella made from water buffalo milk but produced outside the PDO areas).
Mode of consumption
- table mozzarella, which can be broken down further into:
• pre-packaged mozzarella of a predetermined weight, for self-service purchasing in hermetically sealed individual packages
• gourmet mozzarella of variable weight for full service sales, generally distributed to retailers in large, sealed containers
- mozzarella for cooking: used as toppings on pizzas and other foods, this type is generally sold in larger packages than mozzarella intended for direct consumption;
- retail: also includes street vendors and producers' outlets;
- restaurants and caterers: for both cooking mozzarella and table mozzarella.
In order to draw up the Competitors report, the Databank method foresees the screening of the main realities of the sectors and various one-to-one interviews with the selected players. All this is then completed via:
- the gathering of information questionnaires that are filled out by the main companies on an annual basis;
- the checking of the gathered information by a sector expert, using a verification system that guarantees maximum reliability and consistency;
- the processing of information belonging to the Cerved Group about Italian economic realities.
The strategies and performances of the largest players in each sector are looked at in dept in the Competitors report. In all the cases in which a specific source is not indicated, the information published in the report must be intended as extracted and processed from the Cerved Group's proprietary information. Each sector addressed in the Competitors products may be the subject of a dedicated presentation in the company or developed during a training course on the same subject.
A.B.C. ALLEVATORI BUFALINI CASERTANI S.c.a.
ABIT PIEMONTE CONSORZIO COOPERATIVO
ALIMENTARIA VALDINIEVOLE S.P.A.
ASSEGNATARI ASSOCIATI ARBOREA S.C.
AZIENDE AGRICOLE ASSOCIATE S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO CIRIGLIANA S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO DEL CIGNO S.P.A.
CASEIFICIO F.LLI CAPURSO S.P.A.
CASEIFICIO GALDI S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO LA CONTADINA DI DI MASI & C. S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO MOLISE S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO PALAZZO S.P.A.
CASEIFICIO PREZIOSA S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO PUGLIESE F.LLI RADICCI S.P.A.
CASEIFICIO SPINELLI F.LLI S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO VILLA S.R.L.
CENTRALE DEL LATTE DI FIRENZE, PISTOIA E LIVORNO S.P.A.
CENTRALE DEL LATTE DI TORINO & C. S.P.A.
CENTRO LATTE BRESSANONE S.c.a.
CONSORZIO COOPERATIVO LATTERIE FRIULANE S.c.a..
For more information kindly visit :
Mozzarella in Italy
Bharat Book Bureau
Tel: +91 22 27810772 / 27810773
Fax: + 91 22 27812290
Follow us on twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/