The following report analyses adhesives and sealants made from natural sources (starch, dextrin, animal and vegetable proteins, natural rubber) and synthetic resins (thermoplastics, thermosets, elastomerics)
The analysis does not include compounds with adhesive or sealant qualities but not the functions indicated below, such as ureic resins (used to produce chipboard), starch (used to produced corrugated cardboard), impregnation products, underseals and sound deadeners.
The analysis also excludes adhesives made from hydraulic binders, ceramic adhesives (made from sand, cement and resin powder) and sealants made from vinyl plastisol. Market to Market
Products: the types of adhesives and sealants are established based on the chemical composition of the binders used and the type of dispersants/
- natural adhesives (vegetable, animal);
- water based synthetic adhesives (ureic and melamine resins, in liquid or powdered form; melamine resins, in liquid or powdered form);
- aqueous dispersion adhesives (vinyl, homo and copolymers, EVA: vinyl acetate copolymers; acrylics: homo and copolymers; others: polyurethanes, polychloroprenes, latex);
- solvent based adhesives (polychloroprenes;
- hot melts: EVA copolymers, polyurethanes, polyesters, polyamides, polypropylenes, styrene rubber;
- reactive adhesives (epoxy, polyurethanes, cyanoacrylates, anaerobics, others);
- elastomeric sealants (polysulphides, polyurethanes, silicones);
- elastoplastic and plastomeric sealants (acrylics: homo and copolymers; butylenes/isobutylenes, PVC; others).
Function: adhesives usually come in liquid form and are used to bond two surfaces together by means of inter-surface forces (determined by primary or secondary chemical bonds). This property arises during the transformation from liquid to solid state via cooling, evaporation of the dispersant solvent during a chemical reaction and/or under pressure.
Sealants generally come in the form of a thick, strong paste and are used to seal cracks and joints between two (or more) surfaces (as well as for isolation and protection).
Technological developments in terms of both production and application have blurred the boundary between the functions of adhesives and sealants, leading to some overlapping for some products.
Clients: there are two large groups of clients.
- Direct clients composed of Industrial Clients, mainly large directly supplied companies (short channel) and Business to Consumer Clients, composed of various distribution companies that sell products for the building trade, DIY or various products (long channel: sellers of building materials, paint dealers, ironmongers, wallpaper shops, DIY stores, large scale retailers, chains (food and non-food), specialised retailers, stationers, etc.).
- End-clients, not in direct contact with manufacturing companies, composed of professionals (companies, craftsmen, etc) and DIY customers.
Adhesives and sealants have various uses. Two business areas are considered in this report:
- industry, which in this case is analysed according to the following segments: Wood and Furniture, Footwear, Building, Paper, Transport, Laminating film, Cleaning-sanitation and Other industries. Numerous industrial sectors are served, with similar products and technologies and specific trends. The main uses are described in the appendix;
- consumer, characterised by a wide and interconnected range; the approach used by companies is mainly aimed at the needs of the distribution channel and generally targets specific types of end-clients.
In order to draw up the Competitors report, the Databank method foresees the screening of the main realities of the sectors and various one-to-one interviews with the selected players. All this is then completed via:
- the gathering of information questionnaires that are filled out by the main companies on an annual basis;
- the checking of the gathered information by a sector expert, using a verification system that guarantees maximum reliability and consistency;
- the processing of information belonging to the Cerved Group about Italian economic realities.
The strategies and performances of the largest players in each sector are looked at in dept in the Competitors report. In all the cases in which a specific source is not indicated, the information published in the report must be intended as extracted and processed from the Cerved Group's proprietary information. Each sector addressed in the Competitors products may be the subject of a dedicated presentation in the company or developed during a training course on the same subject.
3M ITALIA SPA
AKZO NOBEL COATINGS SPA
DURANTE & VIVAN
ERICOM ITALIA SRL
EUROKOLL ADESIVI INDUSTRIALI SRL
FISCHER ITALIA SRL
FORBO ADHESIVES ITALIA SPA
FRABO ADESIVI SPA
FRATELLI ZUCCHINI SRL
H.B. FULLER ITALIA SRL
HENKEL ITALIA SPA
INDUSTRIE CHIMICHE FORESTALI SPA
JOWAT ITALIA SRL
POOLKEMIE DI GARAU STEFANO D.I.
PPG INDUSTRIES ITALIA SPA
ROHM AND HAAS ITALIA SRL
ROSER ADESIVI SRL
SARATOGA INT. SFORZA SPA
SAVARE' I.C. - S.R.L.
SIKA ITALIA SPA
SOCIETA' AZIONARIA PER L'INDUSTRIA CHIMICA ITALIANA "S.A.P.I.C.I."
TORGGLER CHIMICA SPA
UHU BOSTIK SPA
WACKER-CHEMIE ITALIA SRL
For more information kindly visit :
Adhesives and sealants in Italy
Bharat Book Bureau
Tel: +91 22 27810772 / 27810773
Fax: + 91 22 27812290
Follow us on twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/