1. Turn the tap off when brushing teeth or shaving and save on a daily basis! A running tap wastes more than six litres of water a minute!
2. Cooking at home is a growing trend, so be clever with it and wash fruit and vegetables in a washing-up bowl full of water instead of under a running tap
3. Choose a shower over a bath- a quick shower can use much less water than a bath. Reducing time in a shower by one minute could save a family of four 12,000 litres of water a year
4. Wash clothes at 30 degrees instead of 50 and only use appliances when they are full. Half load cycles use more than half the energy and water of a full load
5. Fit a water saving device in the toilet and save up to three litres a flush! Cistern conversion kits are available for around £30 from DIY stores such as B&Q.
For eco-homeowners who want to get even more serious about water saving, rainwater harvesting is becoming a growing trend. Fitted underneath a garden the systems collect rainwater landing on a roof and stores it for use in the home. Using this water to flush a toilet, water the garden and wash the car means savvy eco-households won’t be caught short by the hosepipe ban this summer.
For more information about Rainwater Harvesting from Polypipe Home Solutions or to find a local fitter who can provide a quote visit www.homesolutions.polypipe.com or call 01709 770 000