They help to initiate the body’s fight-or-flight response to stress.
When we are in “fight-or-
Cortisol diverts blood away from our digestive tract, leaving us less able to digest food or absorb nutrients, and more likely to gain weight.
In this physiological “crisis mode,” we’re more vulnerable to pain from chronic illness, arthritis, fibromyalgia, migraines, stomach upset, and more.
And in this state of heightened physiological “alert”, our brain’s creative center is deemed non-essential and shuts down, lowering our problem solving skills, creativity, and intuition.
Stress affects our sleep too. As a consequence, our body secretes even more cortisol, wreaking more havoc on digestion (and waist line), increasing our blood pressure and lowering our immune system.
After releasing too much cortisol for too long, our body goes into “adrenal fatigue” mode, where we consistently feel depleted, exhausted, and depressed. Know anyone like that?
Not a good place to be!
Here are 12 telltale signs you are stressed out:
1. You find it difficult to take your focus away from work, money, relationships, family,
whatever is bothering you
2. You can’t concentrate at work, with studies, or even when talking to people
3. You feel overwhelmed by life in general
4. You get emotional too easily
5. You feel increasingly irritable, isolated and impatient
6. Your personal, social and work relationships are suffering
7. You find it hard to sleep at night and wake up tired and low in energy
8. You feel depleted, exhausted, in a negative mood and depressed
9. You no longer have the energy to adhere to your exercise routine, your healthy eating, meditation or yoga
10. You find it hard to lose weight, or you are losing weight too rapidly for no apparent reason
11. You get sick often; a cold, the flu, tummy bugs…
12. You suffer from migraines, insomnia, chronic pain, hair loss, allergies, eczema… or other seemingly inexplicable conditions
Recognize all or some of these symptoms?
It's time to get help.
By Anna Aparicio, NLP Life Coach at http://www.delite.ie