Reverend Gail Tapscott of the UUCFL will introduce the program, which will consist of:
• Romane Petit, an organizer for Unite Here since 2006, discusses current labor organizing struggles, including that of South Florida casino workers who are attempting to obtain union representation.
• Maggie Davidson, a South Florida activist and President of the Democratic Women's Club of Northeast Broward, will address women's issues including how the current "War on Women" impacts working women.
• Real estate attorney Alexander Johnson discusses foreclosure actions taken by Occupy Fort Lauderdale on behalf of specific families. Members of the Occupy Fort Lauderdale Foreclosure Mobilization Group will give a briefing on how families can fight foreclosures and what the Occupy movement can do to help them.
• Speakers from Occupy Fort Lauderdale describing current initiatives within the local and national Occupy movement related to working class struggles.
• The Solidarity Singers will sing historical songs of the labor movement, and Bob Mitchell will sing the official song of Occupy Fort Lauderdale, "We are the 99%."
The Unitarian Universalist Church of Fort Lauderdale is located at 3970 NW 21st Avenue, Oakland Park. FL 33309.
For further information, (or for activist groups to request a free table to promote their struggle) please contact Bob Bender, at email@example.com.
Occupy Fort Lauderdale is an organization of citizens who are peaceably assembling in public spaces in Fort Lauderdale, much like similar groups in over 1000 cities across the U.S. We meet to discuss America's economic and political situation, to air our grievances at the injustices brought upon us by the corporate forces of the world, and together, plan to create a process to address the problems we face, and generate solutions accessible to everyone. The organization has held several general assembly meetings thus far, bringing together hundreds of people, and has attracted four thousand to its virtual Facebook® community. For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
For more information, press only:
For more information on Occupy Fort Lauderdale: