TEFL courses offer training programmes designed to give individuals the skills and confidence needed to teach English as a foreign language. The way this new course is delivered allows the first real alternative to the current four-week TEFL courses such as CELTA and Trinity CertTESOL and gives students a more flexible method to attain the qualification. i-to-i TEFL recognises that students often find it difficult to drop everything in order to complete the four-week full time courses and the new course aims to combat this problem.
The new course offered by i-to-i is delivered to a syllabus developed by leading awarding body EDI. It is independently accredited by the UK Government as a Level 5 qualification – equivalent to both CELTA and Trinity CertTESOL certificates. However, i-to-i’s course, which launched in the UK, Ireland and Australia in March, allows students the flexibility to study online at their own pace and gain six hours of teaching practice with English learners.
i-to-i TEFL was the first company to offer weekend TEFL courses and also created the first online TEFL course in 2011.
i-to-i’s CertTEFL allows students to complete 120 hours of online training at their own pace as well as a 20 hour weekend classroom course. Once that is complete they undertake six sessions of observed teaching practice with English learners over the course of six weekends.
Gemma Turner, Managing Director of i-to-i TEFL says, “For the first time, there is a real challenger to the dominance of CELTA and Trinity Cert TESOL courses. Our new CertTEFL course has been accredited to the same level as both of them and it will allow our graduates to gain access to the best English teaching jobs and demand the best wages. It feels like we’ve broken down a few barriers for people wanting to teach English overseas – they won’t have to give up four weeks of their lives anymore, because there’s a more flexible option now. I genuinely think this is a game changer for the whole TEFL industry!”
Gareth Phillips, Director of Sales and Business Strategy at EDI says, “EDI is delighted that i-to-i TEFL will be delivering our EDI CertTEFL qualification to future TEFL teachers around the world. As a leading awarding and international education organisation, we are committed to supporting partners such as i-to-i in the delivery of high quality, innovative learning experiences.”
The course from i-to-i at a glance:
• Delivered to a syllabus developed by leading awarding body EDI
• Accredited by the UK Government as a level five qualification, which is the same as CELTA and Trinity courses
• Recognised by the British Council for teaching in the UK
• 140 hours of TEFL training
• Six sessions teaching real English learners
• Observed teaching practice
• Written assignments
• Full lesson planning training given
The new course is now running across the UK as well as in Dublin, Melbourne and Sydney. More information can be found at http://www.onlinetefl.com/
- Ends -
1. Contact Anna Drabble on anna.drabble@
2. i-to-i was founded in 1994 as has been offering TEFL courses and international volunteering experiences ever since. They launched the first ever weekend TEFL course. They created the first ever online TEFL course. And over the course of the last 18 years they have trained 127,000 people to teach English as a foreign language. They now operate courses in 20 countries worldwide and teach over 16,000 new English teachers every year.
3. Education Development International plc (EDI) is a leading provider of education and training qualifications and assessment services. In the UK EDI is accredited by the Government to award a wide range of vocational qualifications. Internationally, EDI trades under the London Chamber of Commerce and Industry brand and offers a range of business and English language qualifications which have a history that can be traced back to 1887.