announces their first annual “Napa Bike Fest” http://www.napabikefest.org to be held at the Copia south parking lot and in the Copia screening room on Saturday April 28th, 2012. Napa Bike Fest, a day of activities for all ages and cycling interests, is for Napa Valley locals enthused about bike ownership, riding, having outdoor fun, and for those who want to learn about the many benefits of bike riding.
“Our goal for Napa Bike Fest is to celebrate cycling: it’s a reminder to take out the dusty bike in the garage for the first ride of spring; it’s an opportunity to take the family to a great afternoon event called “Kidical Mass”; and it’s a chance to check out some very cool cycling films. We truly have something for everyone” commented Napa Board member, Mark Lucas. Ultimately this event engages the community with cycling and is symbolic of Napa Valley’s progress toward becoming a “Bicycle Friendly Community”. Bicycling is considered the second most popular outdoor activity in the United States (after walking) and more than 60% of Americans say they would like more bike facilities in their communities. The numbers are even more compelling here where Napa Bike is working diligently to create safer riding for everyone.
Napa Bike Fest will begin at 9:00am with a group ride heading north for the more trained cyclist. The main festival activities will be centered at the Copia South parking lot at 11am.
A few highlights:
● Bike Swap: a great opportunity to purchase a bike or some special parts at a affordable prices. And for those with cluttered workshops, it’s a chance to clean out old bike parts and make a few dollars. Starts at 9am.
● Kidical Mass: A fun and safe bike ride for kids and their families to learn about safe cycling. Kidical Mass is designed to educate bike-curious parents about safe bicycling with children, teach kids to ride safely in the city, encourage biking to school, and to increase the visibility of families biking on Napa streets. Event starts at 11am at the south Copia parking lot.
● BMX Stunt Show: At the Jump2Jump demonstrations, everyone is involved and will witness a cycling spectacle. The crowd is incorporated into the show! Multiple show times.
● Cultural Heritage Ride: Bill Tuikka from Napa County Landmarks will lead a casual, cruiser-bike friendly ride through downtown Napa, and teach the group about many of Napa’s historical buildings. Ride starts at Copia’s south parking lot at 2pm.
● Cycling Films: Three films will be shown – Klunkerz - a movie that shares the history of mountain bikes featuring mountain bike pioneers Gary Fisher, Joe Breeze, Mike Sinyard, Tom Ritchey and Charlie Kelly. The second film is The Bike Heist, is a comedy-caper about two “besties” who rekindle their “bromance”
● Food. Beverages. Live Music. For those who just want to hang out and listen to great live music, three local bands will be strumming along all day; The Napa Valley Ramblers, The Deadlies and The Rebobs.
All events, except the two film screenings, are free to the public. Film tickets, which will be sold the day of the event, cost $5 each. More information about Napa Bike Fest can be found at http://www.napabikefest.org
About Napa Bike:
Napa Bike, a non-profit membership-supported advocacy organization focused on improving the bicycling environment for all residents, is striving for recognition of Napa County as a Platinum Certified Bicycle Friendly Community, as measured by the League of American Bicyclists. Only three other cities in the country have reached this level – Boulder, Colorado, Davis, California and Portland, Oregon. Formed in 2008,
Napa Bike is built upon three key pillars – advocacy, education and safety. The Napa County Bicycle Coalition, designated as a 501c(3) non-profit, is a membership-supported advocacy organization working to improve the bicycling environment and quality of life for all Napa Valley residents and tourists. Napa Bike represents all cyclists – recreational, students, families, racers and commuters and offers various membership opportunities to serve such groups. Please visit http://napabike.org.
# # #
The Napa County Bicycle Coalition, designated as a 501c(3) non-profit, is a membership-supported advocacy organization working to improve the bicycling environment and quality of life for all Napa Valley residents and tourists.