Most Chevrolet Volt owners probably apply the same driving habits long practiced by hybrid owners, such as braking and accelerating gently, to conserve energy and maximize battery power. But they may not know that small, seemingly inconsequential choices, like how they choose to warm the Volt's interior on a chilly day, can also makes a difference in how far they can go on battery power alone.
Chevy Volt vehicle line director Tony Posawatz has lots of practice eeking the most out of his Volt's 16 kWh battery, and says that even during Michigan's cold winter months he's achieved high mileage using battery power alone. While he won't share his actual fuel economy numbers, he did share a few of his battery-power maximizing tips.
By taking advantage of the Volt's technology features, driving in Low gear, and being smart about when and how they acclimate their vehicle cabins, drivers can get better gas mileage and go further on a charged battery before switching to extended-range mode.
Chevy Volt driving tips to increase fuel economy:
1. Use the Volt's instrument panel Efficiency Gauge for driving style guidance, and remember to gently apply the accelerator and the brake whenever possible.
2. Use the heated seat feature and Eco mode in cold weather to reduce battery load. Blowing hot air to raise the cabin temperature and warm occupants uses a lot of energy, however, heated seats are the most energy-efficient way to warm the driver.
3. Warm or cool the car using your OnStar MyLink mobile app. Remotely warming or cooling the Volt's cabin while it's still plugged in and connected to the grid saves the battery power for driving.
4. Use Low gear. The "L" shifter position can help you engage in more aggressive motor braking, which recaptures more energy for the battery when coasting to a stop, during stop-and-go traffic, driving down hills, and even while driving aggressively.
5. Use the waste heat from the engine when in extended range mode to heat the cabin, but remember to turn it down when in EV mode
6. Keep the car plugged in for automatic battery conditioning (and low cost off-peak electricity)
7. Practice ABC (Always Be Charging). Download charging station locator apps, and keep note of public and private places, such as your friends houses, that have accessible power outlets. Get as many charges in as you can.
8. Read and follow the Volt's Efficiency Tips
VOLT has the most accurate software to gauge the remaining state of charge of the batteries and the remaining mileage on electric mode. Their software engineers had it right.
Volt's remaining battery power calculations are far superior than that of Nissan Leaf and Tesla Roadster. And you don't have to worry if you ran out of electrons.
By not worrying about range anxiety, you can be more aggressive towards your use of electricity, and you can push the usage of pure electric to its maximum without fear of not making it back or stranding you in the middle of busy roads or freeways. Without the fear of range anxiety, you can put to practice your cleaner option, boldly and with a peace of mind.
Source: C/Net Reviews
We are the LARGEST Chevrolet Dealership in the Northwest and have the largest allocation of Volt's which enables us to provide a greater selection to our customers than other dealerships in our region. We service Portland, Beaverton, Hillsboro, Tigard, Wilsonville, Vancouver and the rest of the metro area!
To view our Inventory please go to www.carrchevyworld.com to check current availability or contact us at 888-679-3830.
# # #
Carr is a family owned and operated business that has been rated in the Top 100 Companies to Work for in Oregon 5 times! We have over 50 employees that have been with Carr for over 10 years!
For over 70 years, Carr has been the leader in Sales and Service for General Motors. Our multi-million dollar service facility is equipped with state of the art diagnostic and repair equipment to handle even the most complex problems including the new VOLT. Our Parts department is very knowledgeable and well stocked- if we don't have it we can get it quickly! We also have a great tire department if you would like to upgrade the wheels and tires on your new vehicle. Carr is also the Highest Rated Dealership in Customer Satisfaction in the Northwest.