Protect yourself from injury – pets in pain may scratch or bite. You may want to carefully wrap a large towel or blanket around your pet.
If there is a chance of back or neck injury, carefully place the pet on a stable flat surface, such as a wooden board, and minimize movement during transportation.
Apply direct pressure to any area with active bleeding. Cover the area with a pack made from gauze or a clean towel.
In case of possible poisoning, seek immediate treatment and bring any product packaging with you to the veterinarian. Do not try to induce vomiting.
Call St. Francis 24 Hr Animal Hospital for information and instructions. (360) 253-5446
For your pet’s safety, please post our number for future reference. In some emergency situations, minutes may count. We welcome any questions concerning your pet’s health. Our experienced staff is happy to assist you.
Top 6 household items toxic to pets
Here are the top six most common household items that are toxic to pets, according to the Pet Poison Helpline.
1. Xylitol: Many sugarless gums contain xylitol, a sweetener that is toxic to dogs. Candies, mints, flavored multi-vitamins, desserts, and baked goods may also be made with xylitol. When pets ingest large amounts, liver failure can occur. Even small amounts when ingested can result in a life-threatening drop in blood sugar. Signs of xylitol poisoning in dogs include vomiting, weakness, difficulty walking, tremors, and seizures.
The amount of xylitol typically found in most pet oral-care products is very small and, when used properly, these products aren’t expected to cause poisoning unless a dog ingests a very large amount.
2. Human medications:
3. Flowers: As beautiful as spring flowers are, some can cause severe toxicity or even fatalities in pets. Certain types of lilies such as tiger, day, Asiatic, Easter, and Japanese lilies are poisonous to cats. Just ingesting a few petals or pollen can result in severe feline kidney failure. In addition, spring bulbs like daffodils or tulips can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.
4. Chocolate : While the occasional chocolate chip in one cookie may not be an issue, certain types of chocolate can be very toxic. Bakers’ chocolate and dark chocolate pose the biggest problem. The darker and more bitter the chocolate, the more dangerous it is. The chemical toxicity results in vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, seizures, and possibly death.
6. Pest control products: Rodent, snail, and slug baits are often used to keep pests at bay—they are toxic to pets, and without immediate veterinary attention they can be fatal. Rodent baits can result in blood clotting disorders, brain swelling, or kidney failure, while snail and slug baits can result in severe tremors or seizures.
Please remember around Valentine’s Day that chocolate does not mean “I love you” to your dog.
We have all heard that chocolate is toxic to our canine companions, but how toxic is it really? And what happens if it’s ingested? These questions are both frequently asked by our clients.
The actual toxic components of chocolate are called theobromines, a type of CNS stimulant. They stimulate the brain to a point that initially causes an increase in heart rate and blood pressure. This is followed by vomiting/diarrhea, and then tremors or seizures. This can eventually lead to death.
The toxicity of chocolate for dogs depends greatly on the type of chocolate ingested. The purer the chocolate (higher percentage of cocoa), the more toxic it is. Chocolate products can be ordered as follows, from most toxic to least toxic:
Cocoa powder (more toxic)
White chocolate (less toxic)
So, if your 85-pound German Shepherd eats a Hershey bar, it is not likely going to cause any problems. But if your 10-pound Chihuahua eats the same bar, some significant reaction may occur. It is important to call your veterinarian if your pet has eaten toxic doses of chocolate — especially the darker chocolates.
Treatment for chocolate toxicity involves inducing vomiting if eaten within 2-4 hours, followed by administration of activated charcoal with cathartics to prevent further absorption and to help pass any residual chocolate through the GI tract faster. Hospitalization with IV fluid therapy for diuresis may also be indicated. In severely affected animals, a urinary catheter may be necessary to help prevent any absorption from the urine.
Pet first aid while traveling
Pet medical emergencies don’t just happen at home. A few simple steps can better prepare you to help your pet with first aid treatment while you are traveling.
When traveling, pack a simple travel-size first aid kit for your pet, similar to the one you have at home, along with an antidiarrheal medication that is safe for animals (ask your veterinarian to suggest a product).
Be sure to have handy the phone numbers of your veterinarian, the national animal poison control hotline (888.426.4235)
Your pet should be wearing an ID tag (which should be labeled with your name, home address and phone number) in addition to a travel tag or collar with information on where you are staying while away from home, so you can be contacted while still in the area. A microchip is another good tool for helping you reunite with your pet should you become separated.
Perform a daily “health check” on your pet when away from home. Contact your veterinarian or a local veterinarian if you are concerned about any physical or behavioral changes.
# # #
St Francis 24 Hr Animal
12010 Northeast 65th Street, Vancouver, WA 98682