Licensees may earn all 40 hours through online courses offered by APA-approved providers.
Professional Development Resources is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Over 100 online courses are available at: http://www.pdresources.org/
Continuing Education Requirements:
The biennial continuing education compliance period shall extend for a two-year period beginning on July 1 of even-numbered years and ending on June 30 of even-numbered years. Each biennium, each person who is licensed to practice as a licensee in this state shall be required to complete a minimum of 40 hours of continuing education approved by the board.
A continuing education activity which meets all of the following criteria is appropriate for continuing education credit if the continuing education activity:
• Constitutes an organized program of learning which contributes directly to the professional competency of the licensee
• Pertains to subject matters which integrally relate to the practice of the profession
• Is conducted by individuals who have specialized education, training and experience by reason of which said individuals should be considered qualified concerning the subject matter of the program. At the time of audit, the board may request the qualifications of presenters
• Fulfills stated program goals, objectives, or both
• Provides proof of completion or attendance
Licensees shall obtain 6 hours of continuing education pertaining to the practice of psychology in any of the following areas: ethical issues, federal mental health laws and regulations, Iowa mental health laws and regulations, or risk management.
A licensee may obtain the remainder of continuing education hours of credit by:
• Completing training to comply with mandatory reporter training requirements. Hours reported for credit shall not exceed the hours required to maintain compliance with required training.
• Attending programs/activities that are sponsored by the American Psychological Association or the Iowa Psychological Association.
• Completing academic coursework that meets the criteria set forth in these rules.
• Conducting scholarly research or other activities that integrally relate to the practice of psychology, the results of which are published in a recognized professional publication.
• Preparing new courses that have received approval from the board.
• Completing home study courses for which a certificate of completion is issued.
• Completing electronically transmitted courses for which a certificate of completion is issued.
• Attending workshops, conferences, or symposiums.
Iowa Board of Psychology: http://www.idph.state.ia.us/
# # #
Professional Development Resources, Inc. is a nonprofit educational corporation organized in 1992. Our mission is to provide healthcare professionals with accredited continuing education courses on topics that are vital to contemporary clinical practice.