- 20% of businesses say they may still make people redundant this year [51% in 2011]
- 84% of employees say they will continually monitor HR costs
Peter Done, managing director of Peninsula said today, "It is great to see optimism amongst small businesses, their intention to start recruiting again is significantly good news. Small firms over the last 12 months have tightened their belt, become leaner and fitter to face new challenges, yet we are not completely out of the woods yet. I speak to small firms on a daily basis and the clear message I hear is that they continue to manage costs. I encourage small businesses to continue to examine costs, maintain the bottom line, and get rid of wastage.
Done continues, "One area to look at is employees who fail to pull their weight, make sure you are getting the most from your workers. Staff who are not up to the job should immediately be addressed, you cannot afford to carry passengers, and it’s not good for business or morale. Re-training and motivational chats are on option but if individuals are not pulling their weight then follow HR laws and look to replace them."
Done concludes "For small businesses low cost recruitment could well be an ideal option, university graduates are a great way to get enthusiastic workers at minimal costs. They need the expertise whilst you get enthusiastic workers keen to make an impression at lower wage rates. Apprentices are also another option, keen to gain valuable experience with many keen to make a lasting impression. Low cost recruitment can really help to maintain a healthy bottom line."
Notes to editor:
- Peninsula Business Services questioned 1036 small firms who are Peninsula clients between 19th December 2011 and Tuesday 2nd February 2012.
- Peninsula is the UK's largest employment law consultancy based in central Manchester.
- Peter Done is founder and managing director of Peninsula.
- A photograph of Peter Done is available upon request.
- For further clarification then please contact Daniel Mulcahy from the Peninsula Press Office on 0161 827 8511.
# # #
Peninsula Business Services is the UK's largest Employment Law and Health & Safety Consultancy. Over 25,000 businesses have integrated Peninsula to work as part of their HR and Health and Safety departments. Peninsula employs over 900 people in the UK.