All manufacturers, importers and downstream users in the supply-chain have to apply for authorization with ECHA (http://echa.europa.eu/
Regardless of the quantity involved, if the substances included in the Authorization List are present on their own, as part of a mixture or are incorporated into an article, it should not be placed on the market or used after the sunset date, unless:
• A special authorization has been granted.
• The substance is exempted from the authorization requirement based on article 56 of REACH or based on special exemption indicated in Annex XIV.
• An application for authorization was made prior to the "latest application date" but decision on the application for authorization has not yet been taken.
The incorporation of a substance into an article applies to any EU manufacturer who uses the substance in the manufacturing process. Imported finished articles are not subject to authorization. However, the product category may still be subject to authorization if it contains substances included in Annex XIV.
If you are thinking of applying for authorization or you would like to replace hazardous substances in your products by voluntary company policy, SGS technical experts can offer you several forms of assistance:
• Suggestions for possible safer alternative materials,
• Identification of substances classified as SVHC (http://www.sustainability.sgs.com/
• Advice on product design aspects,
• Consulting services to develop your case in an application for authorization for the use of a specific substance (providing an adequate control route and a socio-economic assessment).
About SGS REACH Services
SGS has the expertise to enable you to fully understand how REACH (http://www.sustainability.sgs.com/
Please contact us if you need further information.
SGS Consumer Testing Services
REACH Technical Expert
29, avenue Aristide Briand
94111 Arcueil Cedex
T +33 4 42 97 78 50
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With 67,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,250 offices and laboratories around the world.
# # #
SGS Consumer Testing Services ensures the quality and safety of every kind of consumer products, from textiles, electronics and furniture to food and automotive.
For more information, please visit: http://www.consumer-