Robert B. Baker, Esq., Baker, Zimmerman & Perez
Kim Sailer, BARD Marketing/PR
Burn Prevention - Keeping our Children Safe
Parkland, FL – The personal injury law firm of Baker, Zimmerman & Perez supports Burn Awareness Week (Feb 5 – 11) sponsored by the American Burn Association (http://www.ameriburn.org) and the Shriner’s Hospitals for Children (www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.com)
Burn Awareness Week is designed to provide an opportunity for burn, fire and life safety educators to unite in sharing a common burn awareness and prevention message in our communities. The 2012 campaign is Be Burn Aware and focuses on teaching children safety tips that will help keep them safe from burn injuries, especially at home.
In the United States, approximately 2.4 million burn injuries are reported per year. Approximately 650,000 of the injuries are treated by medical professionals;
* Every day, across the U.S., hundreds of children are taken to emergency rooms for treatment of scald burns caused by contact with hot liquids, steam or foods.
* Approximately 65 percent of children under age 4 hospitalized for burn injuries were scalded by hot liquids.
* Approximately 16,000 children under age 5 are treated in U.S. hospitals for scald burns annually.
* Ninety-five percent of scalds occur in residences.
* Fire causes the death of more than 600 children ages 14 and under each year, and injures about 3,000 more.
* Nearly 50 percent of children injured in fires or fire-related incidents are under age 5.
* More than 60 percent of residential fires that cause the death of a child occur in homes without smoke detectors.
Many of these burn incidents could have been easily prevented by following and implementing some basic safety tips.
Below are links provided by several organizations to assist and educate parents and children on how to prevent burn injuries:
* American Burn Association
* Burn Institute
* CDC Home & Recreational Safety
* Home Safety Council
* National Fire Protection Association
* Safe Kids USA
* Shriner’s Hospital
* U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
* U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Fire Safety Publications
We all know that children are curious, fearless and will touch almost anything. For this reason awareness and education are the keys to preventing serious and devastating burns. Parents need to be aware of household hazards and be on guard to keep children out of harms way.
The American Burn Association is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of everyone affected by burn injury through patient care, education, research and advocacy. To learn more about the ABA visit: http://www.ameriburn.org.
Shriners Hospitals for Children is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose focus is changing lives every day through innovative pediatric specialty care, world-class research and outstanding medical education. They have 22 hospitals in the United States, Canada and Mexico that provide advanced care for children with orthopaedic conditions, burns, spinal cord injuries, and cleft lip and palate. To learn more visit: www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.com.
Baker, Zimmerman & Perez, a Boca Raton / Parkland civil litigation firm, focuses on Catastrophic Personal Injury, Wrongful Death, Burn Injuries, and Defective Products. The firm is headquartered at 6991 North State Road 7, Second Floor and may be reached at (954) 509-1900. Additional information about Robert Baker and Baker Zimmerman & Perez, P.A. may be obtained from the firm’s website at http://www.defendingtheinjured.com or follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/
# # #
Beyond All Reasonable Doubt Marketing is a strategic marketing firm focused on helping law firm clients become more successful through increased business. For more information, contact (561) 637-2576, firstname.lastname@example.org, or www.bardmarketing.com.