These exercises are an excellent starter program for anyone just starting a regimen or wanting to boost their current fitness program. These 10 key exercises will bring balance to the body for flexibility, conditioning, toning and shaping as well as burn calories.
They can be performed at the fitness club or an at-home gym, all one needs is space for movement, an exercise mat, stool and ball, and a set of hand weights. Proper form and positioning is also important in obtaining the full benefits from each movement. Listed in order of performance, perform 1 set of 12 to start and then add more sets as your body becomes stronger.
1. Leg kicks – lying on the mat (face up) with hands under hips, toes pointed up, move legs opposing each other in slow controlled movements
2. Swing crunch- lying on the mat (face up) with arms stretched above head and legs straight, roll the body up from the shoulders as far over as possible - blowing air out as you come up
3. Downward dog –facing the mat, hands and feet supporting the raised body with hips being the highest elevation (inverted V), in one smooth movement lower the hips towards the mat and arch the head up, return to the starting position
4. Scissor kicks- lying on the mat (face up) with hands under hips, toes pointed up, move legs in a scissor fashion crossing each other in slow controlled movement
5. Wall squats- standing up, place an exercise ball between your back (mid-back) and the wall, while keeping pressure on the ball-squat downward and then back up
6. Squat chest press –squat position with hand weights at chest level, push out with the weights and then back to starting position
7. Squat shoulder press- squat position with hand weights at shoulder level, push up with the weights and then back to starting position
8. Squat curls- squat position with hand weights to side, curl arm at elbow and and then back to starting position
9. Tricep kickbacks- lean over at hips, arms tucked close to body with elbows up, straighten arms pushing weights up, and then back to starting position
10. Seated leg extensions- sit on exercise step, support body by holding bench, lean back slightly for balance, with legs stretched out and off the floor, bend knees and bring feet up to hips, return to starting position
In addition, Niemo also recommends that one seek advice from a physician as well as a professional trainer before starting any fitness regimen. This will not only curtail injuries but will also provide the proper path to attaining one’s goal and keeping that New Year’s resolution throughout 2012.
# # #
About Body Fit Las Vegas
A private, exclusive training facility and fitness club focused on personalized service and developing programs to deliver qualified results. Founder and Fitness Expert, Marcus Niemo specializes in the education and training of patrons in the development of positive and healthy, lifestyle management choices. Visit http://www.bodyfitlasvegas.com or call 702.530.1022.